Anyone have this equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I have found a turkey fryer set up at Walmart that I believe is insanely priced... $49!!

30-Quart Turkey Fryer Set:
30-quart aluminum pot and lid
Automatic timer
Welded, sturdy stand
Cast iron burner
T-Star and lifter included
10 PSIG regulator
12" thermometer
Model TF1008-013305

I am curious of the quality ("you get what you pay for") and would appreciate any feedback that HBT members can offer on this. Thanks!

a loud cup burner and 10-psi regulator is pretty much a loud cup burner and 10-psi regulator no matter who makes it. it will get the job done.

30 quart pot is iffy for a 6+ gallon boil but it has other uses too.

thermometer is an unknown.
you need accuracy in the cooled wort to boil range
a lot of fryer thermometers are accurate in the higher 150 to oil frying range.

Seems decent if you want to use it as a HLT. I have a similar set up in the works, but I'm getting a 14 gal brew kettle.

It will be fine for partial mash and extract brewing. Beware the automatic timer. It most likely has no "off" switch. This means u will have to reset it every so many minutes. Yes, the thermometer is going to be useless. Seems like a reasonable first fryer and pot.

Get and oxidative layer going on the pot and start brewing in the elements.

this is my setup, works perfectly fine

I strap taped the timer fully wound, so not an issue

is kinda tight for a 7 gallon boil, watch out for hot break & 1st hop additions

thermometer is piece of junk

Thanks! Kinda figured it had some minor drawbacks given the lack of expense. I am also going to get a digital therm. for my mash tun. Oxidizing the aluminum is first on my list!

This is a beginner's set up for AG and am only interested in 5 gallon batches currently, though it could change if I like it too much!

GrogNerd said:
while you're oxidizing: measure starting water, then ending. difference = boil off rate

Great idea! Hadn't thought of that.

I have the same burner, have had it a few years, works great. I just put vice grips on the knob so I don't have to reset it every 15 minutes.

When I upgraded to 52qt pots, I just removed the little ring on top that keeps your pot 'centered'. It still works fine with larger batches.

This is similar to what I have.
I BIAB and have 5 brews in it. Great way to get started with all grain...

I pulled the trigger! Got the set up I saw online with one difference. As advertised it had a 10 psig regulator but the box says 5 psig...

What would the difference be? Negligible?

Now I'm set up for AG brewing! Well, except for the "all grain" part... Now to place an order!

image-2081377745.jpg

Back