Anybody try Northern Brewers new LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it can work for most IPA's. It is a matter of balancing other specialty grains off of it. I prefer DME most of the time anyhow. I usually use the lightest extract I can as a base and build my flavor and character with specialty grains or partial mash.

I think it can work for most IPA's. It is a matter of balancing other specialty grains off of it. I prefer DME most of the time anyhow. I usually use the lightest extract I can as a base and build my flavor and character with specialty grains or partial mash.

Yeah it says on the website that it can be used with specialty grains, although it is an extract of many grains. Should be interesting to see what kind of recipes can be put together with this LME.

i just picked some up for an IPA i plan to brew this week. im basing it on a sierra nevada pale ale clone recipe but with a few tweaks and obviously the NB specialty LME. we'll see!

The website tells you what's in it.

It doesn't say what lovobond caramel malt,just that it's light. Selecy American 2-row,not which one. Marris otter is the only exact one mentioned. No strong caramel sweetness says it's not a lovibond of 60L or anything. Might be worth a shot if you know you want the hops to dominate the flavor.

I used some of this today for a house Pale Ale I make. It falls more into the APA style since the IBUs are usually between 35-40 and the SRM is under 10. I used 3 lbs of light DME with 3.15 lbs of this liquid extract. It looks a shade darker than other similar batches I've made, but I'm not too worried about color; taste is what matters to me. The wort smelled good and I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

I'd prefer to know what's in it myself?...

Im in the same boat. There is no telling what kind of fermentability it has "goes for most of the mixed extracts on the market". Ive had my fill of using the mixed extracts and not getting any kind of consistency . Switched over to using pure type base malt extracts and letting the steeping grains do the color and flavor.

Since I started doing partial mash biab beers,I get that amber orange color I've been wanting. Malanoiden malt,marris otter,pale malt all combine to get the color & flavor base for PA's,IPA,'s,etc. Those mixed malts do look interesting,but I'd like more specific info personally.

I am brewing a batch with 3.15 lb super structure, 3.3 lb breiss golden LME's and 1 lb crystal, .5 lb caramunich 1, .25 weyermann dark wheat. I have no idea what will happen but I have 8oz of centennial and 2oz of cascade. lordy, lordy. only my second batch. ever.

Back