Any tips for a beef brisket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to smoke a brisket. Is it just about like a pork butt? The one I bought came packaged in a marinade. It was a spur of the moment purchase. From what I see it sounds like you just smoke it at about 225 for many hours and finish with a short wrap in foil.

I rub on Canadian steak seasoning. Smoke until you hit an internal temp of 160-165*. Wrap in foil and put back in smoker until it hits 195*. Let it rest for a while before slicing.

I stay away from pre-marinated meats except corned brisket.
When you smoke that it becomes pastrami. But that's another topic.

I Look for a 12-14 "packer" vacuum packed whole brisket. Learn to trim it yourself from YouTube or other web tutorials.
Leave 1/4" fat on the top and smoke it lightly for 12-? hours.

I have used Paul Kirk's dry rub and it is great, http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Paul-Kirks-Dry-Rub
But it will also be great with a simpler rub. You are in for a treat!

And if the wife tries to get you to do chores be sure to tell her how busy you are. If you take your focus off the fire and beer for just a little while the whole thing could be ruined.

You will want to cook it for a lot longer than a pork butt. Depending on the weight 12-14 hours is normal.

I want to smoke a brisket. Is it just about like a pork butt? The one I bought came packaged in a marinade. It was a spur of the moment purchase. From what I see it sounds like you just smoke it at about 225 for many hours and finish with a short wrap in foil.

Check to make sure you didn't get a corned beef brisket. That is the only brisket I've ever seen come in a marinade, but of course I am in Texas--where brisket rules the smoke pit.

Because the briskets I smoke usually take about 12 to 14 hours to finish--and they are usually being served with a church potluck lunch or early dinner, it means mine get cooked overnight. Since my smoker is a simple metal with firewood contraption, with no electronic or automatic controls it means I have to be hands on the whole time. I love brisket and cook it all the time, but don't love it that much so I have come up with a way that works for me.

I assume 1.25 to 1.5 hours per pound (I always get the whole, untrimmed brisket).
Rub with pepper, sea salt, garlic powder and onion salt (the brisket, not me).
Place into smoker at around 225 deg, with a thin blue smoke.
Try to maintain a low and slow without too heavy of smoke.
After about six hours or so, I wrap in foil and finish.
If I am cooking it overnight, then I take the wrapped brisket and put it in the over set to 225 deg to finish instead of the smoker (don't forget to put it into a pan in case of leaks). That way I can set it and forget it until morning.
Take it out when done. Temperature should be north of 185 deg.

Let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour before cutting. I forgot this step one time and it looked like someone had sprayed rendered fat all over the kitchen--the juice literally squirted out of the cut. The wifey was pissed. With sitting, it will reabsorb much of the moisture into the meat.

If you want a real treat, make some sweet beans and put the pan under the brisket during smoking to get smoked and catch the good stuff!

One last thing--for a nice touch--every half hour or so while smoking, spray the brisket with your favorite beer.

And the number one rule for Brisket in Texas: "If you need sauce with it, then you haven't cooked it right."

Once thing I do to make a sauce for those who would like it is to simply catch about a cup of drippings and blend with ketchup. Say my brisket needs sauce and you might catch a fork to your forehead. Simply say you'd like a little sauce to go with it and I'll hand it to you.

You are on the right track! Instead of foil try the brown butcher paper if you are smoking indirect. Lets the smoke in but keeps the bark from getting mushy. Mine are done when they are done almost always around 200 to 205 deg. Paper or foil keeps them oh so moist.

Oh if you are going to foil wait till around 160 or so.

I don't know what kind of marinade would come with a brisket for smoking. Sounds like a corned beef to me too. Don't bother smoking that, it's been soaked in curing salts and spices already. I corn my briskets sometimes, you should try that too. Takes about 5 days.

Briskets are one of the best things I make on my grill. Here's how I do it. I put pork shoulders right on the grate, but briskets go in shallow disposable aluminum pans and get foil later to keep it moist.

1. Rub. I cover it with dry mustard then rub in spices (salt, chili powder, garlic, etc)
  2. Place each brisket (I do two 5 lb. flats) in a shallow aluminum cooking pan (the disposable kind is OK). Cook at 225 until internal temp > 170. Maybe 5 or 6 hours.
  3. At this point I rap the briskets with foil completely. Use the really wide foil wrap. Spoon as much of the juice as you can from the pans into the foil wrap to baste the meat. Save the rest of the juice for spooning over the meat or use for gravy if you decide to serve that way.
  4. Cook till internal temp = 195.
  5. Remove and let rest in the foil for another hour or two.
  6. Cut very thin slices across the grain of the meat (makes it easier to eat). Test on a corner to see which way the grain is running.
  7. Spoon juices over the sliced meat, and serve with BBQ sauce on the side. Or, make a gravy out of the extra juice and serve next to a large plop of mashed potatoes.

img_04962-49476.jpg

img_05214-49477.jpg

Oops, it's a corned brisket. Oh well, I bet it will still be good enough to eat. I just have a simple electric Brinkman smoker, so no tending it except to load chips and mop every once in a while. I'll plan on getting a plain brisket for next time. The brine smells pretty good when I took it out of the package this morning, but I couldn't help but throw some rub on it anyway.

A thunderstorm came in right as I got up this morning, so I'm going to try and text my daughter through setting up the smoker and getting it going. It's only a 3.5 lb. brisket, so it might be ready by tonight.

Great idea on the bean, cluckk! Too bad I'll be at work for the smoking portion.

(SIGH) After having my daughter set up the smoker via text messages, and a false start when she plugged it into the wrong outlet and tripped the breaker, it only got up to 130F before bed last night. I wrapped it in foil and will finish it today. Luckily my experience has been that this doesn't seem to affect the quality of the meat in the end.

As long as the heat stays low and you take your time, they are pretty bullet proof. I've seen people do all sorts of things to brisket and seldom have I had a bad one.

It looks like that brisket has mashed potatoes with it. My mashed potatoes are made with boiled sliced potatoes (unpeeled). When mashing them, I leave the skins on and add sea salt, black pepper, milk, butter and sour cream. Mash all these together and serve. They have so much flavor they don't even need gravy.

BTW, here is my recipe for smoked beans:

Ingredients:
Great Northern or Navy Beans
6 ounces of bacon or salt pork cut into ½” pieces
Large Onion, Finely chopped
3 tbs Brown Sugar
3 tbs Molasses
3 tbs Maple Syrup
1 ½ tbs Dry Mustard
1 ½ tbs Worchestershire Sauce
1 ½ tbs Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

Soak beans for six hours
In a large heavy pot, cook bacon, and onions until translucent.
Add beans and some water; simmer until tender.
Pour beans into foil disposable tray.
Place beans in smoker (preferably under a brisket or other large chunk of meat).
Cook between 200 and 225 for several hours; watch to keep them from drying out.
If cooking with a brisket, chop some brisket and place it in beans before serving.

Each time I spray the brisket with beer the beans get a good healthy spray also.

When the brisket is fully carved, the small scraps get thrown into the beans and mixed in.
2013-03-30 16.55.53.jpg

I got the stuff to make these beans next time I smoke a pork butt. So I got a pork butt going last night and completely forgot to do the beans!!

Well, I can still make them for tomorrow. Got some chips left over and by the time comes to smoke the bean I'll have some pork to toss in there too.

How much beans do you use with that recipe?

I just "smoked" a brisket for the first time a couple weeks ago. For those that don't have a smoker, listen up.

First, I just rubbed it with some webber's mesquite rub right out of the package.
Then, I got my weber bbq going, let about a chimney worth of coal burn down past the point of where I would start grilling, I want heat, but not searing hot. I then pushed them out to the side and placed soaked woodchips on top in foil pouch, the placed the grill down with a couple layers of foil, and placed the brisket fat down on foil on top of that. SMoke started billowing, I set up the air to keep it going as low and slow as I could. Let that go for 2 hours. Then, once the thing is burned out, I place the brisket right side up in a foil pan, put in 2 cups of brewed coffee in it, a shake or five of worcestershire in it, and wrapped it heavily with foil and in the oven at 225 for about 6 hours.

I took it out, and it was pretty much perfect. Now I put it all in the fridge and the next day, slice nice thin slices against the grain, and then stuff the sliced brisket \into pans and then top with the au jus/drippings and whatever cold rendered fat pieces you have to melt over the brisket when reheating... Replace with the foil from the big pan.

Now you are ready to go. the day you want to serve, just put in the oven for an hour at 225 and you are set.

I served it with fresh rolls and Rudy's "BBQ Sause" and their "Sissy Sause", and some homemade slaw. Everyone who came requested "take out" when they left.

I'm in the camp that a brisket is a good enough cut where you don't have to get too deep with the extras. Trip the fat to your liking, use a nice rub and cook it slow. Take it off at 133 and let it rest for an hour. Cooking time is usually 5-6 hours set at 200 degrees on my set up (traeger)

If I had a way to cook it for eight hours I would. Too much effort with my setup

The pastrami turned out great after I rinsed the crap off the outside. Too salty before that!

I tried the beans and they didn't turn out very good. No tangy flavor. I was wondering when there was no tomato based item on the list. I liked the smoky flavor and I added a bit of ketchup and that helped, but nobody else in the house liked them. Bummer because I was looking forward to those for days!

Up next? A plain brisket this time. I don't think anyone else in the family even tried the pastrami, but I've pretty much eaten it all. Just picked up some sauerkraut to make a sort of Rueben sandwich for work. Not bad.

^^^Don't forget the swiss & put it on deli rye & toast it! yum. The last time I did brisket,I bought the biggest one I could find,as they shrink a lot. I do'em in my pit offset heat. Pile of coals with white ash &/or pin oak on top of that. No foil pouches or any of that. No need to. Usually takes all day to smoke it if I start before dawn. I do the Texas cheat at the end,but off the heat or it'll overcook. Let it rest in the foil cheat while I get the other stuff ready. I also like a mop sauce made with English bitter to keep it moist.

Brisket isn't as sensitive to temp as is pork, some competition guys will go to 300...I keep it between 235 and 250 and pull when the meat hits just above 200. I do the Texas crutch to push it past that stall as I don't like waiting hours extra for evaporation when there is no need. I then take it out of the foil to finish off and let it rest a while before cutting...as someone else mentioned above.

For a rub I use little to no sugar and it is heavy on the pepper, completely different than my pork rub. I, also like another poster, collect the drippings and reduce them for a little side sauce.

Oh yeah, I do about 3 additions of wood chunks in the first bit while the meat is still cold totaling around 12-16 ozs of wood. I don't go to heavy on the mesquite, apple is my go to, but I like some mesquite for that classic character.

Those are my thoughts, hope there is something worth considering in them.

Bensiff said:
Brisket isn't as sensitive to temp as is pork, some competition guys will go to 300...I keep it between 235 and 250 and pull when the meat hits just above 200. I do the Texas crutch to push it past that stall as I don't like waiting hours extra for evaporation when there is no need. I then take it out of the foil to finish off and let it rest a while before cutting...as someone else mentioned above.

For a rub I use little to no sugar and it is heavy on the pepper, completely different than my pork rub. I, also like another poster, collect the drippings and reduce them for a little side sauce.

Oh yeah, I do about 3 additions of wood chunks in the first bit while the meat is still cold totaling around 12-16 ozs of wood. I don't go to heavy on the mesquite, apple is my go to, but I like some mesquite for that classic character.

Those are my thoughts, hope there is something worth considering in them.

You cook beef to 200 degrees? You should be arrested for that

What am I missing here?

This (and a million other sources):

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

When is it done? Old time pitmasters say it is done when it is done. They say you really can't tell by temperature. Each brisket is different. They can tell when it is ready by feel. Some talk about a gelatinous bounce it has when they poke it because the connective tissues have melted. They call it the "wabba wabba" point. Others stick a fork in the side of the flat and twist. If it turns easily, it is ready. Yes, that's where the expression "stick a fork in it" came from. "Fast Eddy" Maurin says he waits until it is "as soft as buttah." The rest of us have to rely on temperature. A lot will depend on the quality of the meat, how moist the air is in the cooker, if you injected, and how long you crutched. I've heard skilled cooks tell me every number from 195 to 205°F. A lot of top competitors swear by 203°F, and I have noticed that something magic does seem to happen at this number. At this temp, the thermometer probe glides in effortlessly, like buttah (once it gets through the bark). If it never gets tender, pull it off before it hits 205°F.

I've made briskets that turned out great that were prepared way different. I assume this method with have much better results. Looks like I'm cooking brisket this weekend

Homercidal said:
The pastrami turned out great after I rinsed the crap off the outside. Too salty before that!

I tried the beans and they didn't turn out very good. No tangy flavor. I was wondering when there was no tomato based item on the list. I liked the smoky flavor and I added a bit of ketchup and that helped, but nobody else in the house liked them. Bummer because I was looking forward to those for days!

Up next? A plain brisket this time. I don't think anyone else in the family even tried the pastrami, but I've pretty much eaten it all. Just picked up some sauerkraut to make a sort of Rueben sandwich for work. Not bad.

I soak the store bought corned beef in cold water before smoking to remove some of the salt. Usually a day or two, changing the water a couple times. Rub it with black pepper and coriander.

I don't take mine quite that high, but very close. I shoot for about 185 to 195 as a minimum. Of course while resting it will rise and probably hit around 200. HoppyDaze, this is because the brisket is being cooked long and low to break down connective tissue and render. It's not a good cut of meat for cooking most other way.

While with steaks I'd never cook over rare.

Occasionally I cook a beef tenderloin by covering with black pepper and kosher salt. I roll it in a rocket hot cast iron skillet until the outside is seared,leaving the inside what many call blue rare. I cut it very thin and serve in various ways.

I got a small brisket (3ish lbs) with my monthly meat CSA share. Is it worth trying to smoke it? If so, any tips for something this size? If not, any suggestions on how else to prepare it?

HoppyDaze said:

Well than my friend, you would love NY strip, I like to hear a little moo when my fork hits it.

Bensiff said:
Well than my friend, you would love NY strip, I like to hear a little moo when my fork hits it.

Yeah I like my beef steaks to twitch a little bit when I cut it.

Fat side up or down... fight!

I still do fat side up, and have for over ten years. Yet, I won't turn my nose up if someone likes to do theirs fat down--though I might make a side comment about the right way. You want to start a war in Texas? Tell a man he cooks his brisket wrong.

Brisket is easy and there are a million ways to cook it. As long as you don't burn it or dry it out, it will taste good.

Rubs should not be difficult either. I have mixed up complicated ones, but I have also cooked brisket with only salt and pepper and they turned out great too.

The big packers come out good, but if you don't feel like cooking all day (and night) a small one makes a good meal for five people with some leftover.

I normally keep the heat low and don't spray or baste it, but I have done that in the past and it turns out good either way. I have never really noticed a difference doing fat side up or down, so to me it does not matter.

I guess I like the smaller ones better because I do not know how to bbq without a beer in my hand. And by the end of those 12 hour cooks I am pretty lit and don't really care about the food anymore. So I try to keep my max cook time around 4 hours because that corresponds nicely with my max drinking time.

http://cookinginmyyard.com/brisket/

Well, I guess I better give it another try soon. I'll be sure to get a non-corned brisket and give it plenty of time to smoke and cook. My smoker only goes up to about 250, so I may have to wrap it and cheat, or let it go 24 hrs. I think I can coax a little more heat if I block off the bottom after the smoke and add some foil to the lid seal.

I think I'll try my own rub too. I didn't think the store bought rub I normally like on pork was all that great. Salt, pepper, coriander sounds nice.

Besides beer, what goes good with brisket??

Here's a good article on briskets from Texas BBQ Rub...

Texas BBQ Rub's Rules for Your
BBQ Success

Article 2 of 8

Beef Brisket - Whole Untrimmed Brisket

In this article you are going to learn an easy, sure fire method of preparing whole untrimmed beef brisket for smoking.

This is the second article in a series of 8 articles you are receiving that will take your BBQ cooking skills to a higher level.

Brisket

Just the mention of the word "brisket" and some people will tell you that it is the hardest of all the pieces of meat you will ever prepare on your BBQ pit.

Don't listen to them. You are going to learn a simple but easy way to the brisket ready for smoking, what temperatures you should be cooking at, when and how to wrap a brisket, how to tell when the brisket is nice and tender, and how to cut your brisket for serving.

You are getting an easy to follow plan. When you follow this plan you will have great success in cooking or improving on the brisket you are now cooking. But remember, you have to take action and cook that great brisket.

Let's start with the basics.

The very first thing that you are going to have to find is a brisket to cook and depending on where you live you will usually find a brisket at either the grocery store, a discount chain, club store, or a local meat market.

The kind of brisket that you will find, either a whole untrimmed brisket and/or a trimmed brisket flat also is affected by where you live. Some of you will find both of these cuts of brisket and others will only find one.

If you can find an untrimmed whole brisket pick one up and get it home. These usually run in the 10 to 14 pound range and come in a cryovac package. Try to find one in the 12 pound range (the size I prefer to cook).

If you can't find an untrimmed whole brisket then what you should find is what is referred to as an "trimmed brisket" or a "trimmed brisket flat" which is basically part of the brisket called the flat that has been separated from the rest of the brisket and some of the fat has been trimmed from it. These are either in a cryovac bag or the butcher has trimmed the brisket and you will find it in the meat section with the steaks etc and it is usually in one of the plastic plates wrapped with food film. These will usually weigh in the 4 to 8 pound range.

First you need to know the advantages and disadvantages of cooking the whole untrimmed brisket versus the trimmed brisket. Here are the main advantages and disadvantages of both cuts of brisket:

Advantages and Disadvantages

Advantages of Whole Untrimmed Brisket
1. costs less (usually about ½ of the cost of trimmed brisket)
2. more fat in the meat for the long cooking time - keeps meat moist
3. more servings - usually serves 20 people
4. more forgiving over a long the cook cooking time required by brisket

Disadvantages of Whole Untrimmed Brisket
1. larger piece of meat that may not fit on some smokers
2. larger piece of meat to handle on the pit
3. harder to find in some areas
4. a little harder to cut since grains run in different directions
5. if trimmed to much not much fat left on the meat for cooking
6. longer cooking times

Advantages of Trimmed Brisket Flat
1. smaller piece of meat may fit better on some pits
2. less waste in the end product
3. grain runs in one direction so easier to cut
4. less cooking time on the pit

Disadvantages to the Trimmed Brisket Flat
1. costs about double the price of untrimmed briskets
2. less fat for the meat to work with during cooking can cause drying out
3. If you are going to cook at high temps then you must inject this piece of meat or you chance drying it out

Take into consideration all of the advantages and disadvantages of the two kinds of brisket that you will find in the marker place. Your pit size and what is available to you in your particular market area will also weigh in the final decision you are making. Either one of these pieces of meat can be cooked to perfection but there is more preparation of the brisket flat in the initial preparation of the meat.

All said, I usually cook whole untrimmed briskets. But that is me and you will need to decide which cut is best for your particular circumstances.

I am going to share this little bit of information with you at this point. I will buy briskets 1 to 2 weeks in advance of my planned cook and keeping them in the cryovac package (you cannot break the bag open and the brisket you buy should be in a bag that has not been torn open or has opened because of a bad seal on the packaging. This bag should not have any large air pockets in it. The packaging will be tight around the meat). I will place them in my refrigerator until I need to cook them but not going over 2 weeks. This is what is called wet aging and it helps the brisket continue the natural aging process and helps the brisket break down and get tender over those two weeks. If the bag has been opened or you buy a trimmed brisket that is not in the factory closed cryovac packaging this will not work. In my opinion, after a couple of weeks in the frig wet aging the briskets will get more pliable and more tender. Do not be too concerned with the sell date stamped on the bag as this is what the store sell date is but you can also look for the packing date on the label as well.

Preparation of the Brisket

Whole - Untrimmed Brisket

OK you have a whole untrimmed brisket in the factory cryovac package. You may have had it sitting in the refrigerator for a few days and it is time to get it out and get it on the pit.

First, get your pit ready. I like to get the temps on my pit up to around 250 degrees and let it run at that temp for about 30 minutes before I put on any meat. The reason is to get the metal of the pit nice and hot and by getting the temp up any bacteria that could have been growing inside your pit will be killed and you won't have to worry about that at all. And I like to have around 250 degrees in the pit when I add the cold meat to the pit. Remember you will be opening the pit up and placing a large piece of cold meat on the pit and that will immediately move the temp of the pit down to around 220 or less which is where you should cook a brisket.

If you are using an offset smoker check the smoke coming out of the chimney of your smoker. It should be a pale while to almost clear. Clear is where you want to get the smoke exiting the pit which means you are not smothering the meat with a stale smoke. If you are bellowing out a really thick white smoke from you chimney you will need to make some adjustments to your pit. Best way to handle this is to open up the air intake valve on the firebox and using the amount of wood you are using and the damper on the chimney you can control your heat in the pit. One note: when you add logs to your firebox you will see a whiter smoke for a few minutes and that is fine it will clear back up. You should maintain a nice bed of coals in the firebox at all times so when you add a stick of wood it will catch fire from the coals that are already in the firebox.

Now you will focus on getting the brisket ready for the pit.

Take the brisket out of the refrigerator and place it in an aluminum pan with the fat cap facing up and the exposed meat facing down. Take a knife and cut the bag long wise down the center of the bag. Remove the brisket trying to keep as much of the red liquid that is in the package to stay inside the package as you remove the brisket.

Note: Many people believe the red liquid in a package of fresh packaged beef is blood. It is not blood at all as most of the blood is removed from the animal at slaughter. There is actually very little blood left in the animal after it has been slaughtered and it usually remains in the muscle tissue. The red liquid in the package is water from the beef combined with a protein. And it is harmless just mostly water.

Now you will focus on getting the brisket ready for the pit using the simple 1-2-3 method.

The brisket is lying fat up in the aluminum pan. There is not need to trim away any of the fat on the brisket unless you need to for space on the pit or if you just want to. The fat will actually render during cooking and help to keep plenty of moisture in and around the brisket. After cooking the fat can be removed very easily with the back of the knife or using your fingers.

You will need about ¼ to ½ cup of worchestershire sauce and about 1 ½ to 2 cups of Texas BBQ Rub to get the brisket ready for the pit.

Pour enough worchestershire on the fat side of the brisket to cover it and especially make sure that any exposed meat that you see while the brisket is laying with the fat up has some worchestersire sauce on it. Take about 1 handful of Texas BBQ Rub and first hit the exposed meat that you see on the fat side of the brisket with some rub. Don't worry about covering any of the fat with rub as it is pretty thick and the rub will not penetrate it and you are also going to be cooking fat side down on the pit and any rub on the bottom fat cap will just fall off so don't worry about getting any rub on the fat cap.

Take the brisket and flip it over in the aluminum pan. Now you are looking at the top of the brisket with the meat exposed. There will be some fat present on this side and especially you will see a large piece of fat off to one side. It is thick and hard. You can either cut it out or leave it on the brisket. I leave it on the briskets I cook. Again it will add moisture and flavor to the meat so why take it off now.

Take the remaining worchestershire sauce and cover the top of the brisket with it. Using your fingers, run the worchestershire all over the top and sides of the brisket. If you need some more worchestershire sauce add what you need to get a nice coating of sauce on the brisket.

Pour the remaining Texas BBQ Rub over the top of the brisket and using your fingers and hands cover the top of the brisket with a nice coating of rub. About ¼ inch will do fine. Do the same for the sides but it will be hard to keep a build up of rub on the sides so just cover them with rub.

You will see the rub and the worchestershire sauce mixing together and actually forming kind of a pasty substance on the top of the brisket. You are ready to take the brisket and place it on the pit.

Your brisket is sitting in the aluminum pan with the fat down and that is the way you are going to place it on the pit. Remove the brisket and place fat down on your pit and if you can point the thickest part of the brisket towards the firebox of your pit. Close the door and get yourself something to drink and sit back. You just have to watch the temperatures in your smoker at this point.

I like to cook my brisket at 210 to 220 degrees. Keep your pit in the 210 to 220 degree range for the duration of the brisket cooking or you may cook a little higher at 235 degrees. Don't worry if your pit spikes in temperatures for short periods of time. That is not going to make any major changes in the way the meat cooks. Check the brisket about every 2 hours and make sure it is not burning at the end facing the heat. If it has started to burn it is no big deal just move it further away from the heat source and watch the temps on your smoker. If you don't have room in your pit to move the brisket back from the heat then place a layer of aluminum foil under the brisket and that will help keep the brisket from burning.

After about 6 to 7 hours of smoking you will see the brisket is getting to be a really nice brownish color and it is at this point you should wrap the brisket. Do not worry about the internal temperature of the meat at this time. You are just looking for a great color on the outside of the brisket. You will probably see signs of moisture coming from the meat and making the rub look moist. That is what you really want. If you don't want to wrap your brisket that is fine, that choice is up to you.

Wrapping the Brisket

Wrapping the brisket is pretty simple and in my opinion makes a prettier, more moist brisket. Tear off 2 pieces of foil each about 3 feet long. Lay them on flat surface. If you have to carry the brisket a little distance from the pit to wrap it up, use the foil pan that you rubbed the brisket in. (It should have been washed out) Stack the 2 pieces of foil one on top of the other and lay the brisket fat side down on the top sheet of foil. Fold up the sides just a little as you are going to pour some liquid on top of the brisket and don't want the liquid to run on the floor. Gently pour ½ can coke or Dr Pepper over the top of the brisket. Fold up the sides of the first layer of foil over the brisket and I usually roll up the sides. Then repeat folding and rolling the second layer of foil over the first and you have double wrapped the brisket. Return to the smoker or if you want throw it in the oven since it will not take on any more smoke and all it is doing now is finishing the cooking process. If your oven will go to 200 or 210 degrees set the oven and put the brisket in the aluminum pan and slide it in the oven. No real need to keep the pit going just to finish off the brisket. You have greater control of the temps in the oven.

Cook for another 3 to 5 hours and check the internal temperature of your meat with an internal meat thermometer. You should feel the probe of the meat thermometer slide into the thickest part of the brisket with no resistance at all. You will be done with the cooking once the meat has reached 200-215 degrees or when you feel no resistance to the probe going into the meat.

If you don't have a meat thermometer just use a fork and slide it into the thickest part of the brisket. When you have no resistance to the fork sliding in you are done cooking the brisket.

Letting the Brisket Sit

It is important to let the brisket sit after the 10 to 12 hours of cooking in the heat. Sitting the brisket on the counter at room temps will allow the juices in the brisket to redistribute thru the brisket.

Just take the brisket out of the smoker or if you finished it off in the oven, remove place in a roasting pan or if it is in aluminum pan just leave it in there. Let the brisket rest for 1 to 2 hours if you can stand waiting that long to eat it. The rest is worth you holding off on slicing and eating it right out of the pit.

You can open the foil that is around the brisket or leave it tightly wrapped. Recommended: You leave the brisket resting for at least 1 hour and for the first 30 minutes leave the wrapped brisket just like it came off of the pit with the foil all closed up. After 30 minutes open up the foil and let the steam out of the package and this will actually dry the bark out and make a great bark that is not mushy.

Serving

The main thing here is to cut across the grain of the brisket. This will not only allow for cleaner looking slices but it will not get you stringy pieces of meat that will occur if you were cutting with the grain. So you need to identify which way the grain is running and cut across that grain.

When cutting the brisket cut cross grain on the brisket. When you get to the point end (the thick end) of the brisket the grain runs in two separate directions. You will see that the two have a layer of fat between them you can simply cut the point off of the flat where that layer of fat is and cut it separately or chop it for beef sandwiches. The meat in the point contains a lot of fat and in my opinion is some of the best tasting brisket meat there is.

You have succeeded in cooking a brisket.

Smoking the Flat Brisket

I am going to save the detail of this for next time. But you can basically follow the above but remember the flat has a lot less fat for the meat to work with than a whole brisket. So I usually lay some bacon across the brisket flat when I smoke one of these. You can also inject the brisket but we are going to discuss all of this in the next preparation email in a week or so. And your cooking time will be less. Figure an hour per pound (cooking at 210 to 225 degrees) then check the internal temp and see where you are.

This gives you plenty of information to digest and work on. Be looking for next week's Article 3 of in our series on cooking and preparing meat for the smoker. We will focus our discussion on cooking a brisket flat or what some people refer to as a trimmed brisket.

Throw Some Rub and a Pair of our BBQ Gloves in your shopping cart right now!

If you need some rub that will get the job done and leave you with a great tasting, juicy piece of meat go to our website and get some now. I would recommend the brisket blend rub for your briskets but we are also going to be discussing ribs in a couple of weeks so why no pick up at least a bag of each of the brisket rub and either the Original Rub or the Grand Champion Rub and then you will be ready to cook those ribs when that article is released. Note: the Original Rub or the Grand Champion Rub are both great on ribs but they are really nice on pork butt as well.

And don't forget to pick up a pair of the BBQ gloves so you can move the meat around on the pit, hold the meat while slicing it, or test the ribs for doneness. These gloves are a mainstay around the pit or kitchen.

Here's the link www.texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html

You will love the rubs and the gloves. They make your life around the pit easier and more fun.

To your Best BBQ
Bill Cannon
President - Texas BBQ Rub
www.texasbbqrub.com

posted with permission from Bill Cannon

Rub:
1/4 cup kosher or sea salt
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons pure chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
============

1 (5 to 6-pound) center-cut piece of brisket
6 slices bacon

Smoke with pecan and or apple wood chips.

Mall the rub ingredients. I put them in a parmigan cheese shaker like you see in the pizza place. Trim fat to 1/4-inch. Apply rub generously to the meat with your fingertips. Let it sit in the frige overnight.

No direct heat. None. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low.

When ready to cook, place the brisket in the center of the hot grate, fat side up, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Drape the bacon slices over the top of the meat, and then cover the grill. Cook the brisket until very tender, 5 to 6 hours or until the internal temperature reaches about 190 degrees F. Generously mop or baste the meat on both sides with the mop sauce. Wrap the brisket in aluminum foil, and continue cooking until done.

Transfer the grilled brisket to a cutting board and let rest for at least 30 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Transfer the sliced meat to a platter. Spoon the mop sauce over the meat or,serve it on the side.

Mop Sauce:

1 cup beer
1 cup apple cider
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup coffee
1 cup beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons hot sauce, (recommended: Tabasco sauce)
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I, for one, despise BBQ that is wrapped in foil to finish. If you're running behind and want to use it a crutch to finish cooking that's one thing. But to do it on purpose is just a crime. Mushy meat with no bark; bletch.

Well, I guess I better give it another try soon. I'll be sure to get a non-corned brisket and give it plenty of time to smoke and cook. My smoker only goes up to about 250, so I may have to wrap it and cheat, or let it go 24 hrs. I think I can coax a little more heat if I block off the bottom after the smoke and add some foil to the lid seal.

I think I'll try my own rub too. I didn't think the store bought rub I normally like on pork was all that great. Salt, pepper, coriander sounds nice.

Besides beer, what goes good with brisket??

50/50 fresh ground pepper and salt is a fine Texas rub, don't cake it just liberally apply. Use a water pan to keep the humidity up and you can avoid wrapping or if you have to wrap try butchers paper for the last four hours or so instead of foil like they do at Franklin's BBQ, it breaths some so you don't get the soggy meat.

I had to foil my brisket this weekend as I was way too tired from taking care of the newborn to fiddle around with temp so I ended going too high initially and then I fell asleep and woke up to it being at 195...oops, meat started drying out so I went to foil to save it. Time for that Auber Big Green Egg controller I think.

Back