got a pump! questions before first use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I decided on the center inlet chugger pump and I am going to use it for the first time this weekend - I'm very excited!

However, I have a few questions.

Is it ok to let the wort flow into the pump with pump on and the output ball valve closed?

Should I clean it out with a oxyclean solution before first use?

When should I start whirlpooling to wort?

When cooling how long should I whirlpool the wort through the place chiller back into the BK?

Thanks for the help!

Make sure the pump it primed. After is it primed and a flow established it is OK to close the output valve (or any valve downstream) and it will not affect the pump.

I would clean it before use, most definately.

I would start a whirlpool at flame out, but that's me. Other opinions may vary.

I start the whirlpool and do it for a minute or two then cut it off and wait about 5 minutes then pull the wort from the sides and send it on it's merry way to the chiller. Other opinions may vary.

I start the whirlpool and do it for a minute or two then cut it off and wait about 5 minutes then pull the wort from the sides and send it on it's merry way to the chiller. Other opinions may vary.

when you are leaving it sit, do you usually put the lid on the kettle?

Are you whirlpooling to prevent hops and trub from getting into the plate chiller or are you adding whilpool/flameout hops?

I recirculate through my pump and plate chiller for the last 10 min of the boil to sanitize the pump, plate chiller, and hoses. I uses hop bags in the kettle to keep the pellet hop gunk from clogging the chiller.

Are you whirlpooling to prevent hops and trub from getting into the plate chiller or are you adding whilpool/flameout hops?

I recirculate through my pump and plate chiller for the last 10 min of the boil to sanitize the pump, plate chiller, and hoses. I uses hop bags in the kettle to keep the pellet hop gunk from clogging the chiller.

I use a SS mesh basket to filter out hops. The whirlpool is to transfer less junk to the fermenter.

I use a SS mesh basket to filter out hops. The whirlpool is to transfer less junk to the fermenter.

I do the same. I have the basket.

I put on the lid if I add flameout hops to keep the aroma in the wort. Otherwise no. And yes, there is some level of disagreement as to whether that actually works or not.

So I got the pump setup but I have a few concerns. It clicks (like a hard drive that is going) sometimes a little sometimes a lot. It also smells like.. Plastic maybe? Also, how do I get the water/wort out of the outlet once I am done? I have the center inlet chugged model. Not wholly excited about having a pump right now.
Thanks for any advice.

[ame]http://youtu.be/vdpfdIuQZDE[/ame]

Was it actually pumping during that vid?

Make sure the pump has wort all the way to it and is flowing before closing the exit valve. It will make horrible noises if it has any air in it, and may ruin the pump.

Run the pump for awhile with boiling wort to sanitize, along with the chiller.

After the boil, chill the wort normally, and once it's cool, circulate to make a whirlpool for a few minutes, then stop the pump and cover. I wait about 20 minutes to let the trub settle.

Then pull the chilled wort from the side and avoid the trub.

Yes it was pumping but water only. I listened to other chugger pump videos and they did not have the noises i have. It is getting the full amount of water because it is coming out pretty hard on the other end. It does make clicking sounds as well as hard drive going sounds some of the time. Also it smells off when running.

I really don't think there is air in the line because I have pretty clear silicone hoses.

It sounds like the something is rubbing. The easiest thing to check is to take the 4 screws out of the front to remove the head and make sure the magnet doesn't make contact with the head mount housing when it spins. If that's not it, the cooling fan in the back might be just barely clipping something in the housing.

Bobby_M said:
It sounds like the something is rubbing. The easiest thing to check is to take the 4 screws out of the front to remove the head and make sure the magnet doesn't make contact with the head mount housing when it spins. If that's not it, the cooling fan in the back might be just barely clipping something in the housing.

Ok I'll check the head. Any idea about the plastic smell?

Bobby_M said:

Will I see evidence of rubbing in the head?
If its the fan how do I fix that ?

You'll be able to tell it's rubbing if you spin the magnet that's connected to the motor shaft.. It will visibly wobble within the housing.

It's pretty rare, but I've seen just a single fan blade sticking out just far enough to slightly clip the oiling trough on the back cap of the motor. With the metal head off, you can slowly rotate the motor by hand via the cup magnet and you can usually figure out what blade is hitting what. An ever so slight tweak to the fan blade with a thin screwdriver is enough to make it clear.

Bobby_M said:
You'll be able to tell it's rubbing if you spin the magnet that's connected to the motor shaft.. It will visibly wobble within the housing.

It's pretty rare, but I've seen just a single fan blade sticking out just far enough to slightly clip the oiling trough on the back cap of the motor. With the metal head off, you can slowly rotate the motor by hand via the cup magnet and you can usually figure out what blade is hitting what. An ever so slight tweak to the fan blade with a thin screwdriver is enough to make it clear.

When I spun the magnet, I could not hear the blades hitting but the magnet does look ever so slightly wobbly but I am not 100% certain it is. I am able to run the pump for a short while (2 mins) before the clicking starts but then after that I have to fully drain the pump to get the clicking to stop. I no longer have the hard drive noise happening. Any ideas?

Again I am sure it's fully primed and there are no visible air bubbles in the hose.

FYI by clicking I mean a knocking like sound. I can records another YouTube video if needed.

I forgot to mention that you can run the motor with the head removed to see if the sound you're hearing is at all related to the motor. If it runs quite with the head removed, it's either something with the impeller inside or it's possible that the cup magnet is just barely clipping the protrusion on the head.

Did you buy this from Chugger directly, me or someone else?

I forgot to mention that you can run the motor with the head removed to see if the sound you're hearing is at all related to the motor. If it runs quite with the head removed, it's either something with the impeller inside or it's possible that the cup magnet is just barely clipping the protrusion on the head.

Did you buy this from Chugger directly, me or someone else?

I purchased it from another vendor. It looks like some pieces of the magnet it missing or has been rubbed off.

I will try to run the motor without the housing on. Also, I just looked at the breakout image from chuggers website - I don't remember seeing the thrust washer or housing o-ring (I will have to look tonight).

I took some pictures of what the magnet looks like and the impeller housing.

When I took the impeller off, it the metal housing behind it looks scratched (not sure it's supposed to).

Here are some pics - not sure if you can tell anything.

mYDoIZK.jpg

010JZFh.jpg

Now that I know it wasn't ours, send that crap back! Just kidding. I see the white thrust washer in the head there. As far as those pits and dings, it may just be manufacturing but I don't take them apart enough to see a trend. I'd shoot some pictures over to the vendor and see what they say.

Bobby_M said:
Now that I know it wasn't ours, send that crap back! Just kidding. I see the white thrust washer in the head there. As far as those pits and dings, it may just be manufacturing but I don't take them apart enough to see a trend. I'd shoot some pictures over to the vendor and see what they say.

I just saw the oring and washer. I also ran it without the impeller and it sounded fine. Kind of stumped.

Bobby_M said:
That magnet with the chips missing from the interior is a little suspect to me. Send the pic over to chugger and ask if it looks right.

I did. Thanks for all your help.

Yes this is called Dead Heading...it is fine as long as you have flow t the inlet side open

I decided on the center inlet chugger pump and I am going to use it for the first time this weekend - I'm very excited!

However, I have a few questions.

Is it ok to let the wort flow into the pump with pump on and the output ball valve closed?

Should I clean it out with a oxyclean solution before first use?

When should I start whirlpooling to wort?

When cooling how long should I whirlpool the wort through the place chiller back into the BK?

Thanks for the help!

Just wanted to let everyone know they shipped pump out the same day and I received it the next day. The new pump doesn't make any noises like the old and seems to pump a little harder as well (as noticed by my whirlpool). I am very happy that I went with Chugger for my pump.

Thanks again for the speedy replacement.

Make sure the pump it primed. After is it primed and a flow established it is OK to close the output valve (or any valve downstream) and it will not affect the pump.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have a chugger pump now and on the outlet side I have a ball valve. Does this mean that once the pump is primed and flow is established the outlet valve can be closed completely w/o ill effect?

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have a chugger pump now and on the outlet side I have a ball valve. Does this mean that once the pump is primed and flow is established the outlet valve can be closed completely w/o ill effect?

Per the post here straight, straight from the manufacturer, you are correct

Yes this is called Dead Heading...it is fine as long as you have flow & the inlet side open

Back