Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a north shore village. It was ugly today. A bunch of rich people yelling at me for things beyond our control. Got some OT at least.

I can only imagine, I heard some idiots on channel 5 bitching about how their entitlement wasn't working for them...

ThirstT said:
I know that YLPaul caught some water. I haven't heard about the severity yet though. I'm wishing him the best. Four years ago, I had five feet in my finished basement. That was the worst!! I'm pretty sure that he isn't in that shape.

About 6 inches ruined all of my carpet a bunch of drywall and a bag of grain from the last group buy. I was most angry about the grain!

can you find out what yeast they use? better yet, can you get me some? Thanks!

Bill I had a pint of that yeast when I go it those sixtels, I read somewhere it was just a basic east coast ale..and the brewery is very willing to hand a jar over if you ask. I am almost 100% certain I tossed that yeast on my compost.. I'll check my beer fridge if its still hanging around, its yours.

Bill I had a pint of that yeast when I go it those sixtels, I read somewhere it was just a basic east coast ale..and the brewery is very willing to hand a jar over if you ask. I am almost 100% certain I tossed that yeast on my compost.. I'll check my beer fridge if its still hanging around, its yours.

Dave, did you like the Finch's yeast?

bmason1623 said:

I brewed with it once a couple years back. Turned out real good. I haven't gotten any in a while unfortunately.

I honestly never tried it, once I learned it was a standard strain and read the cross-description, I determined it didn't fit my brewing tastes..I just cant recall if I flushed it or not or saved it for my compost pile..if its still in the fridge its yours..I got sidetracked on that kolsch2565..having a half lagered one now, cloudy yet still tasty..but I effed it up its 7%.

This buy will close at midnight 4/27/2013. Get your orders in before then, Cinderbrewers.

Anything specific I should do after putting what I want into the dashboard/group buy window to submit/finalize??

Trying to convince myself I don't need a sack of Honey Malt, Victory, Special B, and Biscuit. Losing badly. Anyone for a split?

Hey bill, I added some items and the correct total came up in my group buy 8 page, however on the dash board (top orders) my total is way higher than it should be. Thoughts?

Hey bill, I added some items and the correct total came up in my group buy 8 page, however on the dash board (top orders) my total is way higher than it should be. Thoughts?

I think that's top orders of all time...I think.

cadwallion said:
Trying to convince myself I don't need a sack of Honey Malt, Victory, Special B, and Biscuit. Losing badly.

I've been trying desperately to beat down the urge to throw down a smoked malt split... Just have to make it another week. Almost... there... must... resist...

we're at 371 sacks. I know the total reads less but look at the "grain list" tab in the spreadsheet; in particular cell C21. Read it, admire it, keep it to yourself. :)

Sooooo with all this new grain heading our way, im sure i missed the discussion on 'storage', anyone know of any good deals on buckets/lids?

Curious about deals as well. I've done the frosting bucket thing in the past but it's a pain to do all the upfront cleaning... I do so much cleaning as it is... you know how it is.

The Menards by me has food safe buckets for $3.98 or something. That's not screamingly cheap, but it's not a deal breaker. They have regular lids (no gasket) and they also have Gamma lids. I've never had a Gamma lid before so I bought one to see if it's really as slick as it sounds. I think it will end up being just that.

There's a ring that snaps on to your existing bucket that I think I'll need to mallet hammer on, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get it back off, but the screw on lid would be so much easier to deal with than the typical pry-off lid. They're around $7 bucks, tho, so that's a bite.

Of course, they're cheaper online in bulk. Wonder how we could manage something like that... hmmm... :)

I brought all my grain up from the basement Wednesday night. We were evacuated Thursday afternoon. Been staying at my gf's and just came back this morning. I got lucky. The black asphalt in the bottom right hand corner is my driveway. Guess that's what I get for living in a village called Riverside.

iudkDxLl.jpg

Art, I'll stand by the value if the gamma seal lids: what a convenience, I have 22 of them and 6 gallon pails. Note: 6 gall will hold a half a 55 lb sack. There are a few places that bulk sell both, but until you hit a shidtload the shipping doesn't work out cuz your shipping alot of air..watch both Costco and Sams club..when all the prepper folks get batshidt weirded-out they run deals on them...I think I picked up a 12 pack and Lids for $148 and change. The 10 pack was $120 something.

I like my gamma lid and would go in on a group buy if the price was significantly lower. But those paint bucket opener tool are only $5. It is much cheaper to but one of them and use my existing lids than replace several lids.

They are great for dog food or something that you have to open daily.

Phew last run of the day....
126 lbs of 2 row, 12.5 lbs c120, 1.75 lbs chocolate, 1 lb roasted barley, 2.5 lbs magnum, 6 lbs Chinook.

Damn I'm exhausted and its clean up time..

so whats the deal with gamma lids? I seen them in HD and was asking myself that same question. I mean do they really keep a food stuff that much longer than another type of lid like the one where you have to open it one lip at a time?

Anybody have any data that gamma lids are really THAT much better than the other lids?

so whats the deal with gamma lids? I seen them in HD and was asking myself that same question. I mean do they really keep a food stuff that much longer than another type of lid like the one where you have to open it one lip at a time?

Anybody have any data that gamma lids are really THAT much better than the other lids?

Convenience is about all, its a lid, you'd have to purge them with gas or constantly change the oxy-sorb packets. I brew often, so its a convenience I'm OK with paying for.. If you like old pickle pails and fighting lids.. Save the coin.

It's really hard to switch existing pails to gamma lids, but for things like group buys where you are likely buying new containers to accommodate, I think the convenience and minimal cost makes it worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back