ekettle off flavor help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psubrewer

Reaction score
I have a setup using a 4500w ulwd camco element in my boil kettle and I've been noticing a strange smokey off flavor in all of my recent brews. Its bad to the point where I've had to dump 2 10g batches.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Time to change the element?

Yes, I have experienced the problem as well. I had a beer that I didnt properly scrub the elements off and the next beer tasted like a liquid ash tray.

That's pretty accurate description of what I'm tasting.

Apparently I have never cleaned the element and its all gunked up.

I think I'll just replace this one and be sure to clean the element after brewing from now on.

You may be able to to scrub the one you have and salvage it. You can try soaking in hot oxyclean first, then scrubbing with a brush. I'm sure others can supply different cleaning techniques. If you can get it looking clean, when you are done boil a small amount of water, let it cool, and taste it. That said, if you don't want to bother and just replace, go for it.

I've got it in a bucket now for a long soak in oxy. Hopefully this clears up my problem.

I know this now, I feel like such a noob for not getting this sooner. I've ruined three batches so far after having great success with several batches of ebrewing.

Its funny how none of the standard off flavor charts reference seemingly common problem. Oh well, just another learning experience...

Yeah, I've dumped a batch too... I also for some reason way over shot my total volume for my saison a few months ago and had to extend the boil to almost 3 hours. Sadly, it has a very minor "ash" flavor now even with clean elements to begin with. This is really the biggest downside to ebrewing I believe. Even if you dump a batch for ever 25 brewed your still saving money vs. propane lol :)

Back