Boil kettle funk on bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I am looking to clean the bottom of my boil kettle. Any ideas? I have tried a oxyclean soak but there was still some left. Open to suggestions.

image-42611003.jpg

Thanks!

+1 on scotch brite or other plastic scouring pad. Its the only way to get it off and even then there's some staining that looks like it'll come off but it never does. :D

Hot PBW and let it soak. I've had my BK look clean then did a soak in PBW and it blows my mind!! Try to find a good deal on bigger amounts.

A 5 gallon of star-san solution & let it soak. You need an acid based cleaner to get this off.

Here is what I do: I make 5 gallons of Star San in a bucket when I brew. I transfer this to my lauter after spraying it out, and let it sit until my kettle is MT. I also set my wort chiller in the solution prior to using (with a quick spray afterwards before cooling). Then I transfer the solution to my kettle, sponge off the brown stuff after a few minutes, then soak by used wort chiller for a few minutes before a final rinse of eveything. Everything gets nice and shiney.

undiluted starsan is magic. I use PBW every 10 or so brews but I would never use anything abrasive in my kettle. Not that its really bad but I like my equipment to look new, only a sponge for me.

Anything acidic will get the job done

Or just leave it :) ...I use to be crazy about every little spot in my boil kettle...and after a few years just kind of gone with it and do just a standard soak and scrub...my kettle looks kind of nasty but it's fine and Im winning medals now so not too worried about it but that's me

Schumed said:
Or just leave it :) ...I use to be crazy about every little spot in my boil kettle...and after a few years just kind of gone with it and do just a standard soak and scrub...my kettle looks kind of nasty but it's fine and Im winning medals now so not too worried about it but that's me

For reference :)

Cheers

image-3432966207.jpg

Their is another cleaner called TSP, it was banned in 2011 or something, but you can still buy it at ACE or Amazon. It is a great freek'en cleaner!!

I like using PBW & a Dobie brand srubber on my polished SS brew kettles. 1.5oz PBW to each gallon of water works great for most jobs,including this one. Just put maybe an inch of PBW in the kettle & scrub with the dobie scrubber. If that doesn't quite finish it,let it soak for an hour then repeat. Mine still shines like new inside. Hell,I could shave in it.

Back