bucket fermentor cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar89

Reaction score
Okay well i was getting out my old fermentor today and found there had been so old bottle caps and a used condom and wrapper found there way in it. The caps left rust stains all over the bottom is this safe to use after this happens and well idk how the condom got there but it was tied closed thankfully. The lid to this fermentor is for whatever reason in the freezer laying on top of a few doves and catfish heads from last summer. Should i buy a new setup or be a man and clean it and use it?

come on guys need real advice.

Seriously? Wtf is going on at your place that you have a freaking used condom in your fermentor? Any used needles? Crack pipes?

Get a new one.

Okay well i was getting out my old fermentor today and found there had been so old bottle caps and a used condom and wrapper found there way in it. The caps left rust stains all over the bottom is this safe to use after this happens and well idk how the condom got there but it was tied closed thankfully. The lid to this fermentor is for whatever reason in the freezer laying on top of a few doves and catfish heads from last summer. Should i buy a new setup or be a man and clean it and use it?

come on guys need real advice.

the condom is okay, but beer caps! no way in hell id use a fermentor with beer caps! lol

all joking aside, was it your condom? if it was I would for sure throw it out!lol

well...hmmmm..... I guess I kinda get it you make beer, you drink beer, you try not to make babies....... get a new bucket just the thought of a used condom in your fermenter makes me sick,,,, seriously use it for a fishing bucket to keep bait in.

**** it, PBW soak that ***** for a day, scrub the *****, and see if the rust comes out.

I'm totally a cheap brewer but the cost of a new bucket is like $20......just buy a new one. I just retired 2 and replaced them with 8 gallon ones for $22 each with lids.

You still haven't explained how a used condom got in your fermenter. You have piqued my interest.

well the fermentor always sat in the corner of then room im guessing when i said threw that away she thought that was the trash bucket

cant-tell-if-serious.jpg

Put in 4TBSP of PBW & fill near the top with warm water & stir til dissolved. Cover it & let it sit for a week at room temps. That should soak just about anything loose. Then scrub it lightly with something that doesn't scratch. Drain & rinse with very warm water. Sanitize with starsan before storing & using.

Put in 4TBSP of PBW & fill near the top with warm water & stir til dissolved. Cover it & let it sit for a week at room temps. That should soak just about anything loose. Then scrub it lightly with something that doesn't scratch. Drain & rinse with very warm water. Sanitize with starsan before storing & using.

And never offer me a beer

Troll sorry not me, I know it sounds strange but that's what was in it. Should of taken a picture but didn't even think about it because i didn't think i would have to be defending my self in brew court with the charge of troll. So i would like it if you took down the don't feed the troll post.

Troll sorry not me, I know it sounds strange but that's what was in it. Should of taken a picture but didn't even think about it because i didn't think i would have to be defending my self in brew court with the charge of troll. So i would like it if you took down the don't feed the troll post.

Thank you for not taking a picture! as for troll, who cares, you made me laugh!

well the fermentor always sat in the corner of then room im guessing when i said threw that away she thought that was the trash bucket

I think we're gonna need pictures to tell for sure. And I'm not talking the fermentor here.

But at least she tied it off.

Yeah,it was more amusing to imagine than seeing I thought. Anyway,the instructions I gave should get it clean again. Rinse with very warm water & sanitize with starsan before storing it. And again before using. That should do it.

With the subject of this post, are you at all surprised of it being suspected as troll?????

Yes & no...mostly no,since strange things do happen every now & then. With humans,the truth is often harder to believe than a well construed lie. I just figured it was one of those things you have to deal with sometimes. Don't have to be a troll to have an odd circumstance hit you...

When my first son was born I stopped brewing for a few months as I was just too tired to brew.... Long story short one day I see my wife carrying my 6.5 gallon bucket out to the garage.... I said what are you doing with my fermenter .... Her reply was fermenter I thought you bought this as a diaper pale.... So yeah weird stuff does go into fermenters sometimes so I don't think this was a troll post either. Btw that bucket did get tossed after awhile but did serve as a great diaper pale.

Back