Online Dating Sites - Do they work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, no problem

insults I don't mind, I just hate being confused

:mug:

We should discuss it some day over a nice piece of fruit pie.

Anyway, I wanted to bring up the fact that the ad people are throwing everything they got at me now that Ive been in this thread.

They have all the bases covered... Older Singles, Filipina Singles, Muslim singles, Jewish singles... only problem is Im not single.

They are going to be disappointed much like the prostitute in Nigeria who was hanging on my sociologist friend. His boyfriend stroked her arm sympathetically "sweetheart, you are tapping a dry vein".

:mug:

We should discuss it some day over a nice piece of fruit pie.

Anyway, I wanted to bring up the fact that the ad people are throwing everything they got at me now that Ive been in this thread.

They have all the bases covered... Older Singles, Filipina Singles, Muslim singles, Jewish singles... only problem is Im not single.

They are going to be disappointed much like the prostitute in Nigeria who was hanging on my sociologist friend. His boyfriend stroked her arm sympathetically "sweetheart, you are tapping a dry vein".

you KNOW it was that other dude who provoked and got that thread shut down

no fruit pie

My dad found his new wife on one of those sites. They have been happily married for about 6 years now.

Granted, at the time my dad was pushing 60 years old and so was his soon-to-be wife. They both knew that their time could soon expire so the decision was both easy and mutual.

What do they say? "When in a storm any port will do"

In my opinion, those e-harmony sites do very little for people that are looking for a relationship, online.

I am a HUGE believer in online-dating, but I feel that half the reason why things work out for those that use it is because you have to wade through the stupid people and find the hidden gems. When someone just falls into your lap based on somebody else's work/effort, you take that person for granted and you just kinda run with it since a computer told you it was a good idea. I've seen friends waste tons of money on those services and not one of them has maintained a long-term relationship with the people they've met through e-harmony.

I used POF and Lavalife for 3 years and met a lot of women. Most were 1-date flops, but I met a few girls that lasted longer than that. I still met/dated girls from the real world (gym, Starbucks, clubs/bars) but the majority of the girls I dated were from the internet. When you meet someone from an online dating site, you can go into more details than just their appearance, assuming they know how to put together a decent profile.
*Sorry guys, if you ever claim you approach a woman in a bar because of anything other than her looks, that's straight up BS (unless she's reading The Art of War in a bar, which is neat, but effin' weird)

I met my wife almost 6 years ago on Lavalife, and I couldn't be happier. I had to wade through a bunch of duds to find a good one (albeit her that messaged me) and I appreciated her when I met her, and I still appreciate her, today. We had very little in common when we met, but we've grown together and have found many commonalities over time. Without internet dating sites, I wouldn't have met my wife and I wouldn't have my daughter... so I owe everything to internet dating :)

My two cents.

I met some real hotties that most likely couldn't spell their name and couldn't hold a conversation to save their life. Also met some dogs that had everything but looks. Took a while of wading in mediocre results to find what I was looking for. In the end the money and time spent was worth it. I went to college in the same town she grew up, probably crossed paths. Just never knew it. We never would have met if it wasn't for that site.

I grew up in a town / area where the majority of women will blow you for a pack of smokes. Drink their faces off every weekend, and by the age of forty, probably be missing half of their teeth. Most are lucky to do anything more than cashier or some other minimum wage job. Needless to say, that's more dead fish than I want to be around. I was with a local for almost eight years. Found out she was cheating on me in the end among other things. Seems to be the trend in the area. Fuk that!! I wanted out and eHarmony gave me that out. Gave me a chance to meet people in a different area. To quote some singer, I found my lady in the streets and a freak in the bed! :ban: All while being highly educated and has all of her teeth. I think the internet dating world has really solidified the theory of Six degrees of separation.

I have met several people through online dating sites, including 3 that I would consider 'relationships'. Married one, that didn't stick but it had nothing to do with the way we met, we simply found that we had incompatible ideas about child rearing after we lived together for a couple years. I am currently in a 2yr relationship, expecting marriage, with someone that I met on Plenty of Fish.

I have used Match.com, connecting singles and plenty of fish with some degree of success (actually meeting someone cool face to face). I tried eharmony, but didn't like it. Of the four I would rank them POF, match.com, connecting singles, eharmony. I rank match over connecting singles because there are just more people on it and it has some cool features. Connecting singles is good, but not very slick looking and doesn't have as many people. I prefer the free sites to the paid sites because there is a more laid back feeling.

Anyone see the Christian dating site ad on this page? At first the girl in it looks super cute, but as you look more closely she starts to resemble a chipmunk...

I have to laugh at the Amish Dating site ad i saw online. Hilarious. I am most worried of the "Farmers Only" ads on TV.

My experience. just finished up a stretch on Match. Works better when you figure out your initial messages. At the end I met two fine upstanding ladies and I will see how things go with them. If things work out I may switch to POF because I am cheap.

Oh man, did I meet some lunatics on POF. Not to say that I haven't met the same or greater number of lunatics in real life. I haven't tried any of the other online dating services.

I also met at least one very sweet girl. She was a nurse and I could really see no flaws, save one: we had zero chemistry. So that ended quickly, but without any drama.

I also met someone that turned into a booty call situation of sorts. Very fun, but short experience (less than 6 months). She was crazy, and in the words of comedian Christopher Titus: "Not, 'Oh girl you crazy', but 'We the Jury find the defendant....'" And that makes for the best booty calls in my humble opinion and experience.

Thanks to that girl, I also realized that I have the ability to smell crazy on girls. I'm really being quite serious here. She made me realize that I was once again repeating a cycle that I'd been repeating since I was a teen, and I finally nailed down what it was that was attracting me to these loonies: an intoxicating natural smell.

It's not perfume, nor is it from any external source. It's them. Crazy women smell... ineffably wonderful. After she left my house, I could smell this girl in the air for hours. Not only in my clothes, not only in my bed sheets, but everywhere in my house. I realized that with any of the girls I had ever been really attracted to, they smelled better to me than the rest. Now I avoid those women like the plague!

Still, even though I met my current SO (who smells quite good, but not that crazy-girl good) through a young professionals group, I am a big fan of the concept. As someone else pointed out above me, approaching someone at a bar is solely based upon appearance. It's nice to be able to get at least a cursory glance at someone's personality before you contact them.

My experience with POF is very similar to the above. Lots more duds when you're chatting/hunting for free. Charge $2 to send a message, and all of a sudden, you're getting way more attention from the ladies, since they don't think you're just some troll that wants attention.

I did a little social experiment and created a POF account as a woman, with some random pics off the internet (yes, morally questionable), and let it sit for 48 hours before deleting the profile. In that time, I got nearly 100 messages from chauvenist pigs and ********. The profile was really generic and the pics were cute but not super slutty. Main reason I did that was to get a feel for what these women were seeing, and then I could divise a way to stand out. Definitely worked in my favor - and it provided me with great conversation material while on first dates ;)

Make sure you set up your profile to filter out women that don't mesh with you. My profile pic was me with both index fingers up my nostrils and my profile spoke of cannibals and vegetarians. I had some valid content about my lifestyle and a bit of my backstory, but I'm all about humor. I make jokes non-stop, and any girl I'll date needs to be able to run with my stupid jokes... I'm sure hundreds of women skipped over my profile and thought I was a weirdo, that's fine with me, those girls would be too boring for my liking. No sense in wasting our time with one another simply being polite and proper and superficial. I was in the online dating game (the paid sites) to meet girls to be in a relationship with them... even though some just ended up being 1 nighters ;)

Make sure you set up your profile to filter out women that don't mesh with you. My profile pic was me with both index fingers up my nostrils and my profile spoke of cannibals and vegetarians.

^ THIS.

My profile "phrase" or hook, or whatever TF you call it didn't say "Give me a TRY!!" or "looking for that special someone"...

It said: "I wear pants....sometimes"

My "dream date" was fantastical and humorous but entirely impossible (involving a plane crash on a deserted tropical isle) I am sure that many girls passed me up for the silliness, but so many more were attracted to it. More importantly, the RIGHT girls (and, of course, a few wrong ones) were attracted to it.

3 dates and I met the RIGHT one (for now;)), but both other dates were with nice down to earth girls who loved to laugh.

My experience with POF is very similar to the above. Lots more duds when you're chatting/hunting for free. Charge $2 to send a message, and all of a sudden, you're getting way more attention from the ladies, since they don't think you're just some troll that wants attention.

That is the total opposite of my experience; the women I met on the pay sites acted very desperate as a rule, whereas the free sites were more laid back and the people generally friendlier and more down to earth

Check this one likemyvoice.com
Here you can meet new people see their pictures and even
hear them

Latest posts

Back