Possible infection, photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
Hey guys, reposting here since I wasn't getting any action on the Equipment/Sanitation forum.

This was my first partial mash, the Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter kit from NB. Primary went great, I hit the gravity numbers on the head (1.061 OG, 1.015 FG).

It's been in secondary for 6 days.

A few small (1 cm) circular white spots have appeared on the top of the beer inside the carboy. Sorry for the quality of the picture, iPhone 4S camera in an unlit closet. The distinctive white spots aren't reflections on the glass. Those are the supposed bacterial colonies, perhaps... What do you think? They definitely aren't wort proteins. They look organic and are newly formed, like perfectly circular little bacteria colonies, white in color but a darker brownish/orange in the small center of each circle.

I don't care so much about determining where I went wrong in my sanitation process, because I know I was less meticulous on this batch.

My question is, what would you guys do from here? Is there a method to precisely siphon or scoop off those "colonies"? Keep in mind this is a glass carboy. Or maybe I should bottle it tomorrow (7 days in secondary) - rack to bottling bucket and hopefully avoid siphoning off any of the bacteria. I'd rather suffer less time in secondary than the infection spreading.

Or am I crazy, and should just relax and have a home brew?

Photo is attached.

white_spots.jpg

Hard to tell in the photo. It could easily be small clusters of CO2 bubbles, or yeast rafts.

If you're sure it's bacteria, I'd probably bottle the beer now, racking the beer in a manner that the bacteria doesn't get sucked up your racking cane.

Well I let it sit for another two weeks in secondary. Some more white spots appeared and a translucent white sheen developed on the surface of the beer. I was really worried, until I tasted it today

After tasting, I'm having a hard time finding anything wrong with it. No sour flavor or moldy taste or smell. It just smells and tastes and looks like a nice hoppy wheat porter.

It looks like all the yeast has dropped out as there is a double layer of sediment on the bottom now, something I haven't seen before.

Photo attached of the double sediment layer.

I'll probably bottle it in a few days (was worried I'd have to dump it) and let you guys know how it turns out.

image-331736678.jpg

I've had this same translucent layer thing happen to beers before. The first time, I was worried but the beer turned out completely fine. Now I just ignore it if it happens. (not sure exactly what it is.... I'm more of a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" type of brewer)

I don't see anything that looks like an infection starting. The double layer just looks the difference between the yeast the dropped early with the trub and the later flocculators. If it tastes good then I'm sure it is fine, package and enjoy!

I think you're fine, the layers on the bottom look fine. If it tastes good then I'd say don't worry. If you want to be extra cautious, don't wash this yeast and reuse.

If it forms a white layer on top, like a skin, chances are that is a lacto infection. Just seems like yours is only slightly infected so the alcohol and other things have kept a full blown pellicle and lacto infection at bay.

I may be wrong but I believe the white skin across the top is typically lactobacilllus.

Let this be a lesson in RDWHAHB.

I did everything form the NB recipe to the T, except for 2 additions. I added a small capful of organic mexican vanilla extract and 1 cup of cold steeped espresso blend to the bottling bucket before bottling.

This is hands down the best beer I've brewed. There really are not any off flavors at all. I tried one of my bottles today (only 6 days in the bottle), so its not fully carbed, however, it is absurdly delicious. I definitely recommend the Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter partial mash kit from NB. The nose is like a chocolate freaking milkshake. Slightly acidic up front (probably due to the coffee addition) but very smooth on the way down with a slight hoppy spicyness and sweet vanilla and cocoa flavors. The texture is very silky, thanks to all the wheat.

Thanks for the responses everyone, and helping me decide to not toss it!

photo (3).jpg

Back