"Trick" for more accurate hydro reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a trick to get a more accurate hydrometer reading? The shaft on mine keeps wanting to stick to the inside of the thief and once it touches the entire length, it doesn't want to move freely.
So, i tap it about six times and take the average of those readings. They might be 10 points different between taps?

Getting kinda frustrating...

Thx... :mug:

I will say one of the reasons I stopped using a theif and went to using a turkey baster to draw the sample and placing it in a hydrometer sample tube rather than using the theif was that it seemed to stick more in the theif.

I have issues with this as well, is the eye piece thing more accurate? Or rather, easier to read?

a refractometer can be easier to read initially but is only good for OG readings. you should use a hydrometer for FG and mid fermentation readings.

Also the diameter of your hydrometer cylinder helps a lot.

When I used the one that my hydrometer came in I had this problem as well.
I warped it and had to buy a new one from my LHBS and it was significantly wider. But my hydrometer never sticks to the side anymore from my observations.

Back