First bottling Experience.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
It is my first time bottling and I am looking for the best/easy way to sanitize my bottles. I already Soaked my bottles in water and Oxy clean for 2 days to remove labels and junk. I read a lot of forms that say that using the dishwasher with a sanitize cycle and no dish soap/cleaning agent works just fine. True or false?

Get yourself a spray bottle with some star san in it. with nozzle set wide spray a few squirts in each bottle. When ready to fill just drain bottle and fill with beer. You can also dunk the bottles in a bucket of star san but thats kind of a pain.

Also so go to Revvy's bottling sticky for great tips.

I think the dishwasher is ok in general, but I would be a little wary. I also think a little starsan is really easy, so that's the way I go because I KNOW it is good.

I don't trust my dishwasher, because I'm sure there is some residue from old food, etc. that has not been completely washed away. I have no idea what your dishwasher is like. At the same time, I have taken dishes out if the dishwasher and stored them in a cupboard for weeks on end with no signs of microorganism colonies, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

Starsan in a vinator is convenient. I pump it a few times to coat the inside of the bottle, and then leave the bottle upside down on the stem while filling the previously sanitized bottle. That way, it's getting the necessary contact time while the other bottle is being filled.

grem135 said:
Get yourself a spray bottle with some star san in it. with nozzle set wide spray a few squirts in each bottle. When ready to fill just drain bottle and fill with beer. You can also dunk the bottles in a bucket of star san but thats kind of a pain.

Also so go to Revvy's bottling sticky for great tips.

Second that, submerging the bottles works great but it takes too long for them to dry.

I don't have star San but I do have iodophor no rinse that came with my kit. Will that work? Also if I use iodophor do I need to let it completely dry before bottling?

I don't have star San but I do have iodophor no rinse that came with my kit. Will that work? Also if I use iodophor do I need to let it completely dry before bottling?

Hehe. The great Iodophor-versus-Star-San debate!

You CAN use what you have... I'd just go buy some Star San. :D

What I personally do is just fill up a giant bucket with water (one of those blue horse feed buckets)... add the appropriate amount of Star San... and sink all the bottles I plan to use.

From there, I simply take out a bottle, give it an upside down spin to clear the sanitary water, and fill right into that bottle (yes... sometimes a little foam is still in there -- no worries).

For ME, that's what I find easiest!

Most dishwashers that have a heated dry cycle will sanitize bottles well enough, you just have to make sure your bottles are good and rinsed out before hand. Done this for many years without a single fail, plus the dishwasher door makes an excellent bottling table.

Iodophor is the biggest PIA there is IMO, why anyone would choose to use that is beyond me. That said sodium metabisulphate is your friend, only thing we use in the winery.

My directions say to go from my secondary to my bottling pail while mixing in priming sugar after boiled. Since my secondary fermenter has hardly no sediment at all, can I just boil my sugar and pour into the Carboy and slowly stir in and then nettle? Or is it absolutely necessary to move to a bottling pail?

My directions say to go from my secondary to my bottling pail while mixing in priming sugar after boiled. Since my secondary fermenter has hardly no sediment at all, can I just boil my sugar and pour into the Carboy and slowly stir in and then nettle? Or is it absolutely necessary to move to a bottling pail?

Read this bottling sticky It should make bottling lots easier and answer lots of questions you haven't though of yet.

Hehe. The great Iodophor-versus-Star-San debate!

You CAN use what you have... I'd just go buy some Star San. :D

What I personally do is just fill up a giant bucket with water (one of those blue horse feed buckets)... add the appropriate amount of Star San... and sink all the bottles I plan to use.

From there, I simply take out a bottle, give it an upside down spin to clear the sanitary water, and fill right into that bottle (yes... sometimes a little foam is still in there -- no worries).

For ME, that's what I find easiest!

+1, but I just use my SS BK instead of your horse bucket. It can be a bit messy once you get to the last few bottles in the bottom but it works just fine for me.

Back