I boiled with the kettle covered.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
I didn't know and made the mistake. Just sampled a taste from the fermenter about 10 days in. No terrible taste so I am hoping I got lucky and somehow fermentation has devoured any DMS taste.

I didn't know about this until exploring partial mash directions and wondered why don't people just boil with a lid to prevent boil-off.

The lid won't stop the foamy hot break from boiling over like beersuvious. you may've dodged a bullet this time. But I wouldn't make a habit of boiling with the lid on. Some of it may even show up after carbonation...

Yeah, I was thinking that. Growing pains of transitioning from Mr. Beer kits I guess. Hope all is well with you Union.

Aside from my hip joints & quadraceps,it's cool. Finally got my other batch done & bottled a couple days ago. gotta clean the fermenter & get ready for a PM NZIPA next. Building that pipline finally.

Hopefully the warm weather will help you out. What did you bottle?
I was just giving an outdoor propane base of a turkey fryer but the aluminum pot has a few small holes so I'm keeping an eye out for a larger kettle. Also looking for 3 and 6 gallon food grade buckets. If I can make a few extra primaries and fermentors it will save some money that I already don't have and allow me to have more beer :D

Def need it to warm up. The car needs a new VSS that I have. Sunny & great looking,but cold for me to be layin on concrete to change it out. Bad Vehicle Speed Sensors make it run like a blown head gasket.
I bottled up version2 of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lager a couple days ago. The dark version going on 3 weeks ago. If you can get the ingredients,def brew some more now before it gets too warm.

It's not about the boil over - it's about the DMS. That's a Dimethyl Sulfide. It's a sulfur compound that's produced in hot wort. It boils off - but if you have the lid on it'll just drop right back into your beer. It's a cooked vegetable flavor - mostly noticeable in lighter beers.

Leaving the lid off allows it to boil out/

I didn't know and made the mistake. Just sampled a taste from the fermenter about 10 days in. No terrible taste so I am hoping I got lucky and somehow fermentation has devoured any DMS taste.

I didn't know about this until exploring partial mash directions and wondered why don't people just boil with a lid to prevent boil-off.

Lay a wooden spoon across your kettle, it will never boil over.

Mhmm. It's supposed to be a precursor to DMS issues, but I've had to boil with the lid on more than once during windy season and I've never had any issues with off-flavors.

Def need it to warm up. The car needs a new VSS that I have. Sunny & great looking,but cold for me to be layin on concrete to change it out. Bad Vehicle Speed Sensors make it run like a blown head gasket.
I bottled up version2 of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lager a couple days ago. The dark version going on 3 weeks ago. If you can get the ingredients,def brew some more now before it gets too warm.

With the exception of not having water in your oil! Lol. I have to change oil but waiting for it to get in the 60s this weekend(Baltimore)

@Nivek, Thanks. That's exactly what I had in mind. Also have a friend at a sub-shop who is going to check tonight.

Well,that's the thing. The VSS also contains a magnetic pulse generator that sends a signal to othet comps & systems in the car so they can read engine speed. Nothing works right when it's fubared,like a bad head gasket or disty 180 out. As it gets warmer,some temp control will def be in order. As is leaving the lid off the BK.

I just called the bakery. The girl I spoke to agreed to check for me but I think she thought I was crazy lol.

Sounds like you are doing extract (Since you were researching partial mash, I'm assuming you aren't doing all grain). DMS isn't really an issue with extract since it has gone through the boiling process already.

If you're just doing extract then there's no worry about DMS. It has already been boiled off during the making of the extract. If you actually conducted a mash (didn't just use steeping grains) then it might be more of an issue. Even if you do have some residual DMS, the beer will most likely still be drinkable, it just might have a little budweiser twang. Just leave the lid off in the future during the boil.

Very true, it was all extract. Taste fine. About to zest an orange and soak it for a few days. Gonna toss it in 2 days before bottling.

Back