Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She didn't ask my name, my location, or anything. Very nice, but brief, because she was busy (and I'm assuming because she'd talked to every other homebrewer in Alabama).

;)No, no homebrewere in Alabama. None of us would dare do that until it's completely legal.

That would be hilarious.

Also, Sue's never asked me for a name or even a location even. Some of the other Senator's assistants seem to though and most of them seem overly nice and polite about the whole thing so I suspect it helps if you provide them although one might argue it might put you inline for future harassment. I'm trying not to think of it in the negative light though.

Are they in session today? I'm seeing an Order of Business on the Senate Audio website and a note that they are in recess until 10:30 AM.

Will we know when HB9 is on the SOC like we did for the House session?

Yeah, they are in session. There are shenanigans going on as usual though. Not sure what they are doing.

We likely will not have any idea we will be up. It will be one of those boom there it is kinda things probably...

What is Bussman doing? Is there something that he wants to get to, or is he just being a pain in the rear? Motions to table on everything...what's up with that?

We likely will not have any idea we will be up. It will be one of those boom there it is kinda things probably...

I thought that HB9 had to be put on the SOC before it could brought to the floor? As in the fact that we'd at least be aware of the days it would or would not have a chance to be voted on?

It does have to be put on a SOC, but the Rules Committee can meet in the chamber, throw together a SOC, and boom there it is.

Just saw this pop up on the audio site. Does this mean we might get some action today?

S.R. 112 by Rules Committee. Special Order Calendar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senator Waggoner MOTION TO ADOPT.

Just saw this pop up on the audio site. Does this mean we might get some action today?

S.R. 112 by Rules Committee. Special Order Calendar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senator Waggoner MOTION TO ADOPT.

Not unless they are planning on working past midnight.

We are done for this year. It sounds like the ALCAP subordinates are promising a filibuster of our bill so it will never make it to the floor considering the lack of time left in this year's session.

We are done for this year. It sounds like the ALCAP subordinates are promising a filibuster of our bill so it will never make it to the floor considering the lack of time left in this year's session.

Where did you get this info?

Holtzclaw says he is still hopeful that will get an opportunity... I think the only possibility is on the last day.

The SOC they just passed has lots of bills on it, and the 10 minute rule is in effect, so if they are on any 1 bill for 10 mins, they just carry it over. That helps them to actually get some stuff done, but prevents a bill with ANY controversy from passing.

I hope this isn't true, but the idea makes me so angry that I can't even put together a coherent though right now. I don't mean to offend anyone, but backwoods hillbilly good ol' boy politics and the 'moral compass' types are going to keep Alabama in the dark ages forever. It seems like the fact that Alabama is consistently ranked in the bottom five of just about any ranking ever put together would open people's eyes to the fact that maybe something is being done wrong in this state.

Well with a 10 minute rule in effect, it won't take much to kill it even if it makes it to the floor.

Was hoping to have an extra beer tonight in celebration of HB9 passing the Senate. Now I feel like I need an extra beer to get over how angry our elected "officials" make me.

Stone Ruination sound about right.

Ha!

wallace.jpg

For what it's worth...sent to all senators with an email. I'm sure the responses will be the same.

Dear Senator,

I am hearing from others that seem to be up-to-date on what is happening with the homebrew legislation is that ALCAP has such a hold on some of our elected officials that this group of senators is threatening to filibuster should HB9 be brought to a vote. I sincerely hope that this is not true, but with some of the political shenanigans that have gone on earlier in this session I can see it happening.

Our government needs to understand that there is a growing population of people in Alabama with a different mindset from the group that is controlled by ALCAP. This group is one that believes in progress and would like to see positive change in Alabama, rather than what seems to be a resistance to progress as is represented by the low national rankings that Alabama consistently receives.

While HB9 is a relatively small item that will only really affect a small number of people in Alabama, this group of people has made a very strong, united effort to see that this bill completes the legislative process and is passed. If the tone of voice of many of your assistants is any indication they are getting tired of hearing from us. It is unfair that we have gone through all the effort that we have to make our voices heard, only to be denied the opportunity to enjoy a hobby that is legal at the federal level and in 49 other states because our representatives are scared of lobbyists and their constituents. There have been a number of bills concerning alcohol passed in the past several years despite ALCAP's influence. This bill can be passed as well.

As I've asked in my previous emails to you, please allow HB9 to complete the legislative process and be passed so that Alabama's homebrewers can pursue a hobby that is already legally enjoyed by thousands around the country. For those of you that have already expressed to me your support of HB9 I thank you and hope that you are able to influence others to see that this bill is passed.

MTate37 said:
Was hoping to have an extra beer tonight in celebration of HB9 passing the Senate. Now I feel like I need an extra beer to get over how angry our elected "officials" make me.

Stone Ruination sound about right.

I think a home brew is in order.

MTate37 said:
You mean people homebrew in Alabama? And it is illegal?

Rosa Parks didn't sit in the back of the bus even though she was supposed to. I think Alabama homebrewers should head down to Montgomery tomorrow and crack open a homebrew under the capital rotunda. A little non-violent protest in defense of your rights ala Rosa Parks.

Easy for me to say since I don't live in Alabama.

Latest from the "Right to Brew" folks:

We're down to 3 more Legislative Days left in the session. The Senate worked out some deals between the parties, and got through a lot of business and bills today. But unfortunately, HB9 was not on the list. They convene next Tuesday afternoon, so that's our next chance. Thanks to those of you who have been calling the Rules members. It's getting urgent now, so let's add Pro Tempore Del Marsh to our contact list for polite requests to let the Homebrew Bill get a vote:

http://www.alprotem.com/contact/

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. I love the response, "We have more important things to worry about". No, you don't. As an elected official, you are obligated to your constituents. This is why, historically speaking, elected positions were not the most desired ones. This is what is wrong with our "democracy". The positions are sought not to help our country, but to help themselves.

Got my first response from Thomas Whatley after my email today. He says he hasn't heard about a filibuster. ALCAP lobbied him, but he says he told them sorry and he is committed to HB9. Too bad he isn't on the rules committee.

I hope this isn't true, but the idea makes me so angry that I can't even put together a coherent though right now. I don't mean to offend anyone, but backwoods hillbilly good ol' boy politics and the 'moral compass' types are going to keep Alabama in the dark ages forever. It seems like the fact that Alabama is consistently ranked in the bottom five of just about any ranking ever put together would open people's eyes to the fact that maybe something is being done wrong in this state.

You sure didn't offend me. Matter of fact I wish about 99% of the people of Alabama shared your opinion.

Will ABC drop by your place next?

CALL YOUR SENATOR. CALL THE RULES COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Yeah, honestly, listening to the full house session live was like entering some weird and decidedly Alternate Reality. Simultaneously some of the most appalling and entertaining speechifying I've ever heard. And I'm an old fart ;)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back