Critique my saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdwolfe273

Reaction score
Basil Saison

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs white wheat
1 lb vienna

mash at 148F for 60 min at 1.25qt/lb

boil 90 min

Add 2 oz Styrian Goldings at 90 min
0.5 oz Chopped Basil at 10 min
0.5 oz Chopped Basil at flameout

Ferment with Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) for 2 weeks around 70-75 degrees.

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.7%
IBU: 30

I was also thinking of splitting this into two batches, leaving 1/2 the way it is and the other half adding 1.5 cups of watermelon juice to create a "Watermelon Basil Saison"

Let me know what you guys think...any advice is appreciated.

I am also thinking about decreasing the grain/hops to get the abv down (and prevent a big increase in IBU)...possibly:

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb white wheat
1 lb Vienna

Then only do 1.5 oz hops at 90 min

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 25

3711 will take your beer beyond 1.013. If you want that much residual sugar left (but remember Ssison should be dry, dry, dry) mash much higher.

That is what I was thinking...but the stupid brewing app I have didn't seem to agree. I do want it dry, so I am thinking by bumping down the grains it will be lighter and even if it attenuated fully, it won't go above 7% or get too big...

I'm thinking that the basil leaves will add a lot of "green" flavor without the fresh, anise goodness. I had a pale ale that added basil tops (the flowering cones on the top of the plant) at flame out and again as a dry-herbing and it had the flavor that i assume your going for. Not exactly sure what quantities that brewer used, though.

Apps don't do a good job with attenuative Belgian strains. I have a honey apricot saison in the fermentor right now that I mashed at 156. I'm gunning for a 1.012 FG in order to keep the honey and fruit flavors more balanced.

Any other suggestions from anyone else out there? :)

(Thank you to anyone who replied so far)

Latest posts

Back