What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Channel66 said:
Popped the top on my whiskey stout. This beer has won me 5 medals overall. Last bottle of a 10 gallon batch I brewed 2 years ago. Aged for 8 months before bottling, sad to see this one go. But it's my birthday so I figure it's a good day to kill it.

Happy birthday! Looks like you're home, too. Very nice. Cheers!

image-3334178172.jpg

Saison

val214 said:
Stone espresso imperial stout

How is it?
I just returned home from 10 days in San Diego, where after touring the stone brewery I found myself drinking lots of stone products the rest of my trip! I bought the stone brewery coffee table book and there r recipes for several of their beers. I think I'm going to brew a copy of "old guardian" their barley wine

Homebrew hefeweizen, still overly foamy, but turning out great a week after kegging.

Green Flash West Coast followed up by a Lagunitas Brown Shugga Sub.
Just getting warmed up. Eyeing the Southern Tier 2X IPA or might slow down with a Fullers ESB.

davek said:
How is it?
I just returned home from 10 days in San Diego, where after touring the stone brewery I found myself drinking lots of stone products the rest of my trip! I bought the stone brewery coffee table book and there r recipes for several of their beers. I think I'm going to brew a copy of "old guardian" their barley wine

I love stone. They produce amazing beers... They produce a great go to ipa. They offer great limited releases. This EIRS was ok nothing to go out and search for.

Just got my NZ IPA in the fermenter a lil bit ago. Mashed @ 152F for an hour,& once again over the course of the hour it gained 1 degree! I checked it a couple times just to be sure this time. Got a healthy OG of 1.060 as well.
So it's time for some dark hybrid lagers after a good brew day. I get the bottles,the fermenter gets the jug...:drunk:
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001-2_zps566e80db.jpg.html] [/URL]Need a new pic. Clearer now & hops/yeast made a nice lil crispness.

Just got my NZ IPA in the fermenter a lil bit ago. Mashed @ 152F for an hour,& once again over the course of the hour it gained 1 degree! I checked it a couple times just to be sure this time.

I'm no scientist, but me no think that possible! :drunk:

Yeah,I know it's been said before. But the winter hunting coat I wrap my BK/MT in has a thinsulate liner with this poofy stuff around that that's like synthetic goose down. Trapped air is a great insulator,so the trapped steam raises the temp that one degree over the course of the 1 hour mash. i've done it like 3-4 times in a row now. Same thing each time. But 5lbs of grain & 2G of spring water seems to be about minimum for the effect to work.

Bottled 25 and this one was looking lonely outside the box. Attempt at Anchotage Galaxy clone. It's only been bottled a month, so I'm sure it will continue to evolve over the next year or more. Well carbed now, but if the Brett keeps munching it will hopefully get to the cork ejecting level of the original, get a little funkier, and clear up.

image-1101888325.jpg

Yeah,I know it's been said before. But the winter hunting coat I wrap my BK/MT in has a thinsulate liner with this poofy stuff around that that's like synthetic goose down. Trapped air is a great insulator,so the trapped steam raises the temp that one degree over the course of the 1 hour mash. i've done it like 3-4 times in a row now. Same thing each time. But 5lbs of grain & 2G of spring water seems to be about minimum for the effect to work.

That's exactly how it's possible the grainbed is also a great insulator.

Did you know that grains stored in a silo can generate heat enough to spontaneously combust?

Did you know that grains stored in a silo can generate heat enough to spontaneously combust?

the heat is created as the grain dries. you're not supposed to dry grain in a bin, you could burn it down. at least that's what all my sons of farmers dad & uncles told me.

Yeah,as a matter of fact I learned that silo thing when I was 13 & we took a trip out to NM/AZ. Out in one of the plains states,one had exploded into a huge fire that billowed black smoke that could be seen for several miles.
I thought a friggin plane had crashed.
Anyway,the combo of grains & the coat's construction works perfectly every time. I'm just glad I solved the consistent mash temp problem.

Hay will catch fire if it's bailed wet. Saw a semi-load of square bales catch fire once. I don't think that's anything like mashing though. There is only so much energy in the mash. The escaping steam would cool the mash, if anything. Even if it warms the insulating space, how could that possibly heat the mash?

Because of the coats cunstruction trapping air around the BK/Mt while it's wrapped up. And the steam in the head space of the kettle holding the heat in as well. And most of the thermometer was submerged too. The heat builds that one degree due to thermal dynamics.

Hay will catch fire if it's bailed wet. Saw a semi-load of square bales catch fire once. I don't think that's anything like mashing though. There is only so much energy in the mash. The escaping steam would cool the mash, if anything. Even if it warms the insulating space, how could that possibly heat the mash?

With the cover on, a heavy insulator wrapped around it the steam will build up in the head space, as more steam at say 151 is added it condenses the steam cloud more, the molecules all of a similar temperature condensing will begin to raise the temperature in the headspace as they condense further (ie building pressure). Eventually the heat will transfer back into the grain bed (Think pressure cooker only not nearly as much pressure or heat, you heat it to boiling but the steam heats it beyond boiling)

I'm a bit tipsy but I think that explains it pretty decently

Very nice Belgian DIPA. Very similar to Muffin Top except a little less Belgiany.

Yeah, I thought the Belgian notes were very subdued in that one.

Deschutes Red Chair NWPA- Malty and Hoppy. So glad this made its way to PA!

While watching Searching for Sugar Man. Pretty good so far.

Very happy Deschutes is here now!

Relagated to stupid BMC while out having dinner, at least the Tigers game is on. But we are talkin aboiy our Detroit trip...where to go, Jolly Pumpkin or Kuhnhenn???

With the cover on, a heavy insulator wrapped around it the steam will build up in the head space, as more steam at say 151 is added it condenses the steam cloud more, the molecules all of a similar temperature condensing will begin to raise the temperature in the headspace as they condense further (ie building pressure). Eventually the heat will transfer back into the grain bed (Think pressure cooker only not nearly as much pressure or heat, you heat it to boiling but the steam heats it beyond boiling)

I'm a bit tipsy but I think that explains it pretty decently

Well, you're I know you're getting a second masters in science stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

Relagated to stupid BMC while out having dinner, at least the Tigers game is on. But we are talkin aboiy our Detroit trip...where to go, Jolly Pumpkin or Kuhnhenn???

I'd go to JP. I've not liked the couple Kuhnhenn beers I've tried and I don't like mead, but most folks would trade a nut for some of there eisbocks and such.

Back