So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not brewing today, but I checked the SG on my Oatmeal Dark Mild. Friday morning the SG was 1.015, and this morning the SG was 1.009. I am really amazed that Friday morning the Mild was cloyingly sweet, and today, not even close. My house yeast is London ESB 1968, and through the many generations it has reduplicated itself, it not only tolerates higher alcohol levels, but the attenuation is well into the 80% level I would guess. It still flocculates like crazy, and unless something goes bad, I will keep this strain alive as long as I can.
It also makes great hard apple cider, it doesn't eat up all the sugar, and drops out crystal clear.

Not brewing today, but I checked the SG on my Oatmeal Dark Mild. Friday morning the SG was 1.015, and this morning the SG was 1.009. I am really amazed that Friday morning the Mild was cloyingly sweet, and today, not even close. My house yeast is London ESB 1968, and through the many generations it has reduplicated itself, it not only tolerates higher alcohol levels, but the attenuation is well into the 80% level I would guess. It still flocculates like crazy, and unless something goes bad, I will keep this strain alive as long as I can.

^ how many gens have you gone so far? Im new to harvesting and reusing yeast, and was under the impression you had to buy new after about 5-6 generations. Would be awesome if i could stretch it more :)

Brewed a Bomber Barley Wine, 1gal batch today!

Yesterday we racked Honey Brown Ale to secondary and brewed a partial mash Cream ALE, 5gal. Plus bottled 1gal Hefeweizen..
So it was a super super busy wkend!
Already planning on a 5gal batch of the Hefe its a good lwnmwr beer as I've been told!!

Cheers

Well,wort is almost cooled down to temp,cleaning & sanitizing the spigot & mounting hole. Only lost 1/2 gallon to boil off by adjusting the boil on the burner knob to between 8.5-8.8. It'll be interesting to see how well the super moss works on this 1st try with it. Can't wait to get it in the fermenter & pitched on so I can clean up & be done for the day.
I have 5 dark hybrid lagers waiting in the fridge. :ban::tank:

Getting the boil going on an American wheat and then tomorrow I'm going to brew my 1st Sour ( im using us-05 and brett b from the sierra nevada / russian river collaboration Brux.)

^ how many gens have you gone so far? Im new to harvesting and reusing yeast, and was under the impression you had to buy new after about 5-6 generations. Would be awesome if i could stretch it more :)

I've never gone beyond a single repitch, but my understanding was that you could go as far as you want. According to their brewmaster a local brewpub has their house strain they repitch continuously, and will continue to let it go indefinitely until further notice. However around that 5-6 strains mutations become more noticeable. Ok maybe for an evolving house strain in a brewpub, but for true consistency it could be problematic. How fast they become noticeable, how noticeable they become, all that stuff I'd assume depends on the yeast, the wort, and the fermentation conditions. The same brewpub uses other strains maybe 8 or 9 times before they build up a fresh pitch from a slant.

Brewed a Apple Ale for the wife today. Its springtime and I'm trying to change gears from all the heavy & high abv beers I have been brewing over the winter.

I've never gone beyond a single repitch, but my understanding was that you could go as far as you want. According to their brewmaster a local brewpub has their house strain they repitch continuously, and will continue to let it go indefinitely until further notice. However around that 5-6 strains mutations become more noticeable. Ok maybe for an evolving house strain in a brewpub, but for true consistency it could be problematic. How fast they become noticeable, how noticeable they become, all that stuff I'd assume depends on the yeast, the wort, and the fermentation conditions. The same brewpub uses other strains maybe 8 or 9 times before they build up a fresh pitch from a slant.

I am still using the same London ESB 1968 that I purchased last year. I don't remember when exactly, but I have pulled at least 15 separate sets out. When I started out I followed the "rules" to the letter regarding washing and reusing yeast, until I had to hold off brewing for a while and the unwashed yeast cake from the previous batch sat in the fridge for over a month. I decided one day to see if the yeast was still alive, so I brought it to room temperature, added to it 2 cups of water with 1/4 cup sugar that had been boiled and cooled, and the lid almost blew off the jar within what seemed like 10 or so minutes. At that point, I figured as long as I kept everything sanitary, the yeast could wait until I need it again. Fast forward to last week; I had an Oatmeal Mild that needed yeast, along with two separate batches of hard cider to kick off as well. I took the yeast in the jar, added the sugar water mixture again and waited a couple of hours until it was good and frothy. At that point, I took out 1 cup of the mixture and added it to my 1.5 gallon batch of Hard Cider I made myself, then took out 2 cups of the yeast mix and added to a 4 gallon batch of AJC cider with 4 green apples. I then put another 2 cup sugar water mix in and added it to the yeast mixture again, and let it work for a couple of hours and added the now 3 cups of it to my Oatmeal Mild bucket and within 4 hours the airlock was quite busy. Sorry for the long post, but I live in a world of "if it isn't written down, it didn't happen". I now have an "empty" yeast jar, but I have over two gallons of yeast rich trub to start over again. No, I won't use the cidered yeast for ale brewing, at least I don't think, as my wife and I need some variety from ales, so more cider will be made (I'm sure) and, if I want to brew a light colored ale, well, I guess I will wash some yeast, and follow the rules. :)

Belgian Day this Sunday, yea! I checked my records and the last Belgian I brewed was in January of 2012. Whats wrong with me?

Golden Dark Strong and Belgian Dark Strong. Hope the latter approximates Westy12, but it'll be a fun project however it turns out.

Finally getting around to brewing a Two Hearted clone though undecided on what recipe to use. Also showing my neighbor how to brew at the same time.

After 3 batches over this last weekend, doing a 4th next weekend. 5 gallons of Smoked Porter. Gets split in to separate 1 gallon secondaries, each with different chili peppers (jalapeno, serrano, habanero, bhut, and then all four combined).

Finally getting around to brewing a Two Hearted clone though undecided on what recipe to use. Also showing my neighbor how to brew at the same time.

I'm brewing the same in about a 1 or 2 weeks using this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

Read thru that it looks to be a pretty good clone recipe, I also had a guy in my brewers group brew with that exact recipe, tasted damn close, his was a little off but he admitted he had issues with his mash but other than being really thin bodied it was damn close. I'm looking forward to that one!

Brewing an Amarillo Pale Ale this weekend, have brewed it before but in extract this time will be AG.

Going to be making a hop bursted American Amber. Citra and Aurora, maybe add some cascade if I can get to the LHBS.

Going to do my first all grain
Chocolate Rye from Austin homebrew supply
I have left Saturday completely open so I can take my time to get it right.

I may be brewing on Friday night it depends, I'm broke, already spent this months beer allowance :)
My father-in-law really wants to brew a 10% beer that looks like coors light. :)
Other then that probably no brewing for me.

I'm making a saison this weekend; still not sure if brewday will be Sat or Sun.

B

Looks like my partigyle'ed cascadian dark ale is done bubbling away, so I will hopefully get that into the keg with a dry hop, then brew BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter on the cake (after a bit of washing, of course), probably Sunday...

Brewing up an XPA this weekend. California Select basemalt, 1.060 OG 60 IBU, Magnum bittering with HBC342 aroma / dry hop! Spring weather, here I come...

Local brewery is having a homebrew competition this weekend. Winner gets their beer on tap this summer!

Brewing my White Trash Wheat. :)

I've got 5 beers worth of ingredients to brew- a cream ale and then a 60/-, wee heavy, ordinary bitter, and ESB. I think National Homebrew day will probably be a double batch brewday but I can't decide if I want to do the scotch/scotch or british/british beers together, or do an all low-grav brewday this weekend and then an all high-grav brewday the next weekend? Definitely brewing the cream ale at least this weekend.

I brewed a simple pale ale today to try out Belma hops for the first time. I used Belma as a bittering addition and then hop stand at 160 and another at 140 with 50/50 Belma and Cascade.

I brewed a simple pale ale today to try out Belma hops for the first time. I used Belma as a bittering addition and then hop stand at 160 and another at 140 with 50/50 Belma and Cascade.

Loved my 100% belma pale ale and am waiting to brew another with belma/cascade (the brew queue is a little long right now!). Recipe?

8 lbs US 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

0.75 oz Belma @ 60 min
0.25 oz Belma hop stand @160
0.25 oz Cascade hop stand @160
0.25 oz Belma hop stand @140
0.25 oz Cascade hop stand @140

Mash @ 152 for 30 mins. Boil 60 mins. Hop stands were 20 mins each. I racked to a S-04 yeast cake.

I'm finally going to have time to brew an imperial black rye ipa. And 5 gal of apfelwein.

I tried a buddy's apfelwein a couple days ago. Really refreshing stuff.

I'll be bottling an ESB this weekend and brewing White House Honey Ale.

ESB was my first brew and I added to much water to the primary. Landed at about 3.2% ABV. Looks live I've made the Bud Light of ESB's!

Bottling my Robust Porter and brewing up an Amarillo/Chinook IIPA. I get to use my new propane burner and homemade IC for my first outdoor brew. Should be fun if the weather cooperates.

Brewing an Oktoberfest for my 3rd annual Oktoberfest party in September, last years took first in Amber Lager category in a local Brew comp. Hope to have it ready for another Comp in early Sept.

I tried a buddy's apfelwein a couple days ago. Really refreshing stuff.

I'll be bottling an ESB this weekend and brewing White House Honey Ale.

ESB was my first brew and I added to much water to the primary. Landed at about 3.2% ABV. Looks live I've made the Bud Light of ESB's!

Nothing wrong with a sessionable beer. Ill be kegging an English brown too. Need to get my pipeline full again now that school is out.

I'm planning to brew my first All Grain this weekend. I used my tax refund to make some equipment upgrades:
8 gal kettle
DIY 50' 3/8" immersion chiller
DIY 48 qt cooler mash tun

I'll get the yeast started tonight and give it a whirl on Sat.

I'll be cooking up Denny's Wry Smile.

Wish me luck. 7 Extracts under my belt and the first 5 have been super fun. and reasonably tasty.

I'm planning on brewing an all-Dark-Munich Dunkel first thing Saturday morning. I bought a sack of Durst Dark Munich malt (15L), and can't wait to try it. I washed the WLP838 from a Schwarzbier, and the sample at bottling time tasted fantastic. I brewed two ales this past week, but since the temperatures here in Ohio have been all over the map, my basement has been oscillating between 60ish and 70ish, and my S04 hasn't been super happy with the cool temperatures. (When the heat is on, part of my basement stays in the high 60s, which is perfect for most ales.)

Clearly it's a sign I should be brewing lagers right now, since at least I have some way of keeping them cool!

Another Americanized German ale. this ones going to be more of a Dortmunder hybrid . Mostly all german ingredients,with the exception of dryhopping with Crystal hops maybe.

Looks like my partigyle'ed cascadian dark ale is done bubbling away, so I will hopefully get that into the keg with a dry hop, then brew BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter on the cake (after a bit of washing, of course), probably Sunday...

I plan on brewing Biermuncher's Loon Lake Smoked Porter early saturday. Really looking forward to it!

Are you going with the recipe you posted in the thread?

Latest posts

Back