Jamils Irish Red ale- Roasted barley substitute 300L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieboot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time brewing an Irish Red tomorrow and need a substitute for 6oz roasted barley 300L.

I have either black patent malt or Carafa II dehusked.

Do you think I could substitute in one of these and still get the colour/malt profile?

Cheers!

Give you a bump here.. black patent is much more acrid/burnt than roast barley, so you could consider using it, maybe a little less, but it won't be the same.

Maybe actually think about chocolate malt, which I believe is 250L

I'm actually brewing this tomorrow for a HBC. I'm using 500L roasted barley, just going to use a smaller amount. I'm hoping that will work.

Cregar, how did your brew turn out? I just starting drinking a batch of Jamils Irish red that I followed grain bill exactly per recipe. Taste is amazing and I can definitely smell and taste the roasted barley, however I was surprised with the color. Much more brown than red color. I tell my friends that drink it its more of an Irish brown than red and they chuckle. Curious how you ended up in the color department.

There really is no substitute for Roasted Barley when making an Irish Red, if you want the red. The pale that Heretic uses will give it to you, but it is very tough to sub other malts to get that red while maintaining the style..

Back