Best methods to raise and lower grain basket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettVD

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently working on a fully-automated brew keggle rig. Completely automated via my Raspberry Pi, and subsequently though a local web application. It's coming along nicely; most of the programming-side of has been completed, so I'm just wrapping up some of the loose ends.

Just curious regarding the best way to raise and lower a grain basket into the strike water / out of the mash? What kind of levers / motors should I look into? I was also considering just dropping the 10-12 lbs of grain right into a BIAB inside of the keggle.

Cheers!

Well, given that this is in the automation forum, how about something like this:

http://www.bimba.com/Products-and-Cad/Actuators/Inch/NFPA/Low-Profile/TC-Series-Telescoping/

Yeah, it would require a source for compressed air, but having some compressed air around can be super handy for cleaning out grain mills, etc. While there may be a few issues to work out, the upside is that no overhead structure is required. If you are brewing outdoors, this could be an interesting way to go.

Back