Strong Saison critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerbythepurplecow

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have little experience with saisons, but I've decided to brew one and wouldn't mind having some more experienced brewers give the recipe a look. The base recipe is the strong version of Raison D'Saison from Brewing Classic Styles.

Raison D'Saison 6 gallon
2oz caramunich
8oz buscuit
12oz white wheat
1lb munich
13lb two-row
1lb sugar
0.75oz Pacific Jade (14.2%) 60m
0.25oz Amarillo Gold (10.1%) 30m
0.75oz Pacific Jade (14.2%) 0m
2 vials WLP565

This will be a 90 minute boil and an appropriate starter on a stir plate will be made. OG should be around 1.073.

I've changed the base grain to two-row because I'm in Hawaii and it's much cheaper than pilsener. I upped the amount 0.5 to help make up for the crush at the local store. The biscuit was added to give a little complexity. I've read that this is a good idea when subbing two-row in a saison.

I decided to go with pacific jade because my brewing partner has 1.5oz lying around and it sounds like it would be a fine addition in a saison. I have 1oz of amarillo lying around and thought that a little at the 30m mark might add a little more complexity.

What do you guys think? I can mod the specialty grains easily. I can reduce the amount of pacific jade, but I'd rather not increase as I'm trying to keep my costs down. I have up to an ounce of amarillo. I also have a 0.5oz of willamette, but I didn't feel that would be a good mix.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Everything looks good, except what is the purpose of the wheat grain? And the NZ hops are a killer combination in a saison recipe, I'd just add a little more of those hops to the flameout addition. Maybe do all 1.5 oz at flameout and bitter charge with a clean hop like Galena?

That's definitely gonna be a strong Saison! I like the additions to make up for using two row.

Saison is a pretty loose style. The farmers used what they had, so 2 row is fine.

Recipe looks good. I do like a little wheat in my Saisons.

That is going to be a pretty big beer because most Saison yeasts will take it down low.

Thanks guys!

Not sure what the wheat is for exactly. It was in the base recipe. I expect it's to help give more depth of flavor.

Back