All grain setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoutsbrew

Reaction score
I am looking into moving from extract to all grain. Here is what I am looking to do.

5 Gallon batches, ranging from 5ABV to 10ABV

The setup I am looking to purchase is a 10 gallon round cooler mash tun with a 15 gallon kettle/w valve.

My question is should I get a 10 gallon kettle or 15 gallon kettle for my brewing?

Thanks!

Scoutsbrew

If you think there is any possibility you'll want to do 10 gallon batches in the future I'd go with the 15. As I went along I never really put much thought into kettle size. When I was doing extract on the stove I just used a 4 gallon kettle I had laying around. When I went to full boils a buddy of mine provided me with a keg so I lucked out. So when I went all grain I continued doing 5 gallon batches and in the past two months I've done two 10 gallon batches. Long story short, I'd go 15 gallon kettle or if you can get a hold of a keg and have either some DIY in ya or a friend with some get one of those and save yourself a little money.

If you think there is any possibility you'll want to do 10 gallon batches in the future I'd go with the 15. As I went along I never really put much thought into kettle size. When I was doing extract on the stove I just used a 4 gallon kettle I had laying around. When I went to full boils a buddy of mine provided me with a keg so I lucked out. So when I went all grain I continued doing 5 gallon batches and in the past two months I've done two 10 gallon batches. Long story short, I'd go 15 gallon kettle or if you can get a hold of a keg and have either some DIY in ya or a friend with some get one of those and save yourself a little money.

How much does it cost to had ss valve to the keg? And do you have a good website?

I personally got mine from this site here. They have pretty good prices and the flat rate shipping is nice. Check out their keg/kettle kits. They have a wide range of options depending on what you're looking for.

I would go 15 if you do see yourself going to 10 gallon batches at some point. If you don't see yourself expanding (and many people don't), then just go with an 8-10. However, IMO, 15 is just barely big enough for everything I'd want to do with 10 gallon batches.

I would go 15 if you do see yourself going to 10 gallon batches at some point. If you don't see yourself expanding (and many people don't), then just go with an 8-10. However, IMO, 15 is just barely big enough for everything I'd want to do with 10 gallon batches.

Thank you.

Yeah bargainfittings.com is great. I got my cooler mash tun ball valve set up there and it works flawlessly!

I absolutely agree with what everyone has said already.....get the 15 gallon you wont be sorry.

Back