Big Brew Day with Lake Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdonnelly68

Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was away from home on Big Brew Day (May 4th) so I was not able to jump in with the local events.

Not to be deterred, I loaded up my gear and brewed where I was - on Lake Ontario WITH Lake Ontario (water).

It was a picture perfect day and I look forward to tasting my Henderson Harbor Helles. Thought I'd share some pictures:

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

Looks nice, but is it really safe to brew with lake water? I mean I know you are boiling it and all, but it still doesn't seem like the safest thing.

Nice! I've seen guys brew with lake water out on frozen lakes. The water wouldn't worry me one bit.

Lake Ontario is regularly monitored by the EPA and from reports online, the water quality meets or exceeds public health standards for drinking supplies.

I passed the water I used through a hiking/camping water filtration pump to remove most of the nasties. After all of that I boiled the bejesus out of it.

All things considered I think that the lake water is safe to use.

I guess it depends on your definition and tolerance of risk. I'm not one to sweat anything in small doses.

Back