First all grain batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagle1

Reaction score
I recently purchased equipment for all grain brewing. 2- 10 gal coolers (one for mash and one as hot liquor tank to sparge as it came with sparge arm) 10 gal brew pot. My first question is will I be able to do a ten gallon batch at once or will I need to do 2 - 5 gal batches? The answer to this and any tips will be greatly appreciated!

10 gal coolers are not big enough for a typical 10-gallon batch.

I have a 10-gallon square cooler as my mash tun and had issues on a very high gravity (no sparge) 5-gallon batch.

You may be able to get away with a 10-gallon batch on a very low gravity beer.

The 10 gallon brew pot will be your biggest limitation in doing a 10 gallon batch without having to top off.

This...

Just make sure your BK is big enough. Probably safer to stick to 5gal batches. It sucks to get into the middle of things and realize ya aint got the space.

I think even with a 10 gallon BK you're going to have to keep a close eye at the hot break to avoid boil overs on 5 gallon batches.

I think even with a 10 gallon BK you're going to have to keep a close eye at the hot break to avoid boil overs on 5 gallon batches.

Nah, he should be OK if he sticks to a 5 gal batch. I've used a 10gal aluminum for years before I got my 20gal SS. And before I got the 10gal aluminum I used a 7.5gal turkey fryer pot. Now THAT was interesting....and messy at times.

I use a 10 gallon cooler for mashing and have done quit a few 10 gallon batches, but with a gravity limitation of around 1.055 (fine with me, I brew mostly session ales anyway). With a 75% mash efficiency I can mash about 24# of grain. But, you would need to split the sparge. If I want to brew something bigger, a 9 gallon batch is not uncommon.

Your brewpot on the other hand would not allow for 10 gallon batches as mentioned already.

Back