Amylase Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Hey all. I am venturing in the grain/extract brew territory. I have a question about amylase. Question is how and when to use it. Also any tips of doing a combo grain/extract batch. I was thinking of doing a small batch of both then
combine both in my carboy. Or is that doing double the work?:D

Actually I do have a question. I noticed that as far as the syrups go you only have 8 oz rice syrup and 8 oz candi syrup. If I were to use
2 lbs malted buckwheat 2 lbs malted millet 3 lbs sorghum syrup and 2 lbs brown rice. Would that be way too much in my grist as far as alcohol content goes? I am looking for maybe 5%. I cant find an efficiency calculator for gluten free grains

Hopville. They are merging with brew toad. Not sure how that is going to change the site. Should still work fine. The ppg for malted grain is the tricky part. The only sure way is to do a few test batches with a known efficiency for your system. Don't expect it to be high.

My suggestion is not to worry about the exact PPG. Just use 32 ppg as a ballpark, figure something like 70% efficiency, and formulate the recipe around that. Then take a gravity reading after you do the mash (make sure to cool the sample to whatever temp your hydrometer is calibrated for!) to see how much to adjust your extract amounts. If you're aiming for about 5%, you want an OG around 1.053 or so (which includes the contributions from whatever extract you plan to add). So depending on how efficient your mash turns out to actually be, you may have to add more extract or less to hit that mark. That's how I do it, anyway, and it's been working out juuuust fine! :mug:

Latest posts

Back