Software / workflow suggestions wanted. (Beersmith vs Brewers Friend)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckerl

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a software solution and workflow that works for me and was hoping for some suggestions from the community. I have been using Brewers Friend for a while now and really like it, however I use my ipad during brew day and the online software isn't always the easiest to use while brewing. They did come out with an iPhone app but its in its infancy and still needs a lot of work. Also it doesn't look like native ipad support is on the horizon.

I was excited by the release of BeerSmith for iPhone/ipad and have been busy learning the desktop version of the software. It is def an awesome tool for recipe creation but where I struggle is in brew session tracking. I love the way Brewers Friend does this, you just select "Brew It" on your recipe and it tracks everything for that particular brew session while leaving the original recipe alone.

I want the flexibility of being able to work seamlessly on my ipad as well as my Mac. I want to be able to track my brew sessions without impacting my original recipe. I want to have good brew day timers with detailed steps. And I want the ability to work offline on my device with the ability to sync up later.

I really do like both software packages, but just can't seem to make either one work perfectly for me. I'm willing to adjust my workflow & thinking to an extent. What suggestions do you all have?

Hi Tuckerl,
This is Larry from Brewer's Friend. Our next release of the iPhone app will handle brew session and brew log sync, and it is currently in the app store awaiting review. It will be out any day now. The iPhone app does run at 2x on the iPad and is a good solution if you don't have wifi in your brewing area.

I'd be curious to know what aspects of the online experience 'while brewing' are not working for you? Also what feedback do you have for the iPhone app (aside from the fact it is indeed not native to the iPad)? It is possible I can point you to the FAQs or help iron something out that is already supported, or possible there is a simple feature we could add that would make life easier. We want to know!

Thanks,
Larry

Good news, the iPhone upgrade was just approved and is live in the Apple store. Brew session and brew log sync is now fully supported. I think we do most of what you are asking for, if not all, and look forward to hearing your feedback so we can improve! Our mission is to help you make better beer!

PROST!

Back