double pitch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vadem

Reaction score
I just brewed an AHS IPA this morning. It included the alcohol boost and the OG was 1.062. This is the highest gravity beer I've done so far and I was wondering if it would be advisable to double pitch. I pitched a packet of US05 but I do have some US04 in the fridge if needed. And is it even OK to combine the two, or should I make a trip to the LHBS and get another US05? (wouldn't be able to get there until after 24 hours in the fermenter)

Thanks!

If the packet of US05 was fairly fresh, then you should be fine. MrMalty.com yeast starter calculator for dry yeast with OG of 1.062 and a 5 gallon batch, suggests 1 package of yeast (the 11.5 gram size) if yeast was new. Even if 6 month old yeast, it suggests only 1.2 packages, so sit back and wait for it to take off!

If you were using liquid yeast you would definitely have needed 2 packs/vials or more without a starter, but dry yeast has more yeast cells then liquid.

I didn't look at the date, but I presume it's pretty fresh. I'll see if I can rescue it from the trash. It just came from AHS a couple days ago and with their turnover I would hope much of what they have is fresh. I'm hoping I'll see it taking off by tomorrow morning. Thanks!

...and I don't thinkl it would have hurt it much....

I often toss a "extra" Nottingham on top of some the ales I do that have already had two Liquid Yeasts. 11 Gallon Batches.

For me it is "insurance" as I would rather end up with "some kind of beer than none at all after that kind of work and materials...

DPB

Back