Oatmeal stout and cacao nibs addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding 4 oz of nibs to my secondary for my oatmeal stout. I've read to soak in vodka overnight and keep in the secondary for 2 weeks.

Sound ok?

Also, should I put them in a hop bag when I add them?

Put them in a weighted hops bag. Sanitize a chunk of quarts or a few glass marbles to weigh down the bag and toss them in with the nibs. What I would do is start taking some taste tests after three or four days with a sanitized wine thief or a turkey baster and just gauge how much coffee flavor you want out of the nibs. Pull out the nibs and bottle the beer when it tastes good to you. :)

Maybe add some sanitized monofilament fishing line tied to the above mentioned bag and secured to the lid (through the same hole as the airlock?). If you decide to remove it, you don't have to search for a long enough utensil to fish it out with, stirring up the trub.

Rather than soaking them in vodka like most things, I would advise toasting them in the oven at 250F for 15 minutes. This will sanitize them, but make sure no vodka flavors end up in your beer. I use the vodka method for many things, but not for nibs and oak. You just lose some of their flavor that way.

The advice to weight them down is spot on. Glass marbles are my favorite as well, but anything stainless and small and heavy will work as well. When you taste it, the top of the carboy will be the last to get "chocolate". So keep this in mind when tasting it. When the top is *almost* where you want it to be, the batch is done.

Latest posts

Back